Freenas with 2 different lans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surging

Cadet
Hi,
I have an idea about how I would like to setup my nas, but need some help to see if it's possible and how I would go about it.
I'm no network expert, so if I'm sorry if I mix up some stuff.
The situation is the following: I live in a large student house of our gliding association. We have 14 rooms, most connected to a gigabit lan. I would like to put my router behind that lan with a firewall and different subnet, so my chromecast and other stuff is protected. However, I would like to access my nas from both networks, so my housemates can use XBMC and watch my movies and tv series, or we can have some communal storage.
I have a plex jail I would like to be able to use in our living room with some sort of client for plex.
Current setup:
NIC 0: 192.168.3.201 (my lan)
NIC 1: 192.168.0.201 (house lan)
I can access my CIFS share from the house lan, that works fine, however I can't access my jails or the web interface. Is there a trick to make sure I can access my jails from the house lan?

Does freenas keep both lans separate? Or is it now easy to access the devices I have on the .3 subnet from the home lan? (their wifi is incredibly easy to crack, so I would like to keep some protection on my own lan)

Noctris

Contributor
Lans are inderdaad separate so while the jails are running on the 192.168.3.x lan, They are not reachable from the house lan. You could do port forwarding on the router so you can forward plex through to from the house to your own lan OR you could give it an extra ip on the house lan (to the jail) .. This depends on what exactly you want and what level of security you want

Surging

Cadet
I tried port forwarding but it didn't always work, I think giving it a new IP is a better solution. How would I go about giving the jail a second IP on the house lan? And could you elaborate on the levels of security? Is port forwarding more secure, or the extra ip more secure? Or do both have their advantages and disadvantages?

Noctris

Contributor
Port forwarding would definately be more secure although that point is made invalid by freenas already having an ip on the house lan (exposure is already there) so adding a lan ip extra isn't that much of an extra risk anymore. Concerning adding the ip, i have to check ( currently out of the house on my phone ) but i think it is just editing the jail and adding an ip in the jail config

Status
Not open for further replies.