SOLVED onboard NIC not being recognised or potentially not working

nemisisak

Explorer
I have a new board being ASRock EPYCD8-T". The board has onboard 10GBe Dual NIC which is intel i350 X550. As far as im aware this should be fully compatible with TrueNAS.

Installation went fine, however when I came to setup a static IP I only had one network interface option which is ue0 (which i think its a virtual interface of some kind?).

Bios has been flashed to the latest version.
There are no activty lights on either NIC port
Both ports are connected to 1Gb switch with working connections tested with other devices
I also had a HBA installed which I have removed just incase the pci was shared (not that the manual says it is) however this made no difference.
ASROCK sent be a new bios which I have installed however this didnt help either. waiting to hear back.

ifconfig & dmesg output below, doesnt show either of the network links (apologies for pictures thats all I can do as cant connect via putty).

SC1.PNG

SC2.PNG

Im not sure how to determine whether the onboard NICs are dead or if they are just not being recognised. Little bit lost on how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Disabled in BIOS possibly?

nemisisak

Explorer
Disabled in BIOS possibly?
I did think that but from what I can see they are both enabled. I will update this post with a Bios screenshot shortly. Im just installing Debian to see if that recognises them as an additional troubleshooting method.

Ok let us know. Is this a new board?

nemisisak

Explorer
Ok let us know. Is this a new board?
The board is new but open box from a reputable hardware retailer here in the UK. I did inspect the board before installing and no obvious signs of any damage. NIC controller is under a heatspreader so im not sure how it could be damaged but the rest of the boards functionality remains intact. Always a possibility though I assume.

Bios screenshot showing both onboard LANs enabled
SC3.PNG

Last edited:
What did the Deb install find, if anything?

nemisisak

Explorer
What did the Deb install find, if anything?
During install it tries to connect to network via dhcp which fails setup manually however fails subsequently to connect to debian mirror server.
Wouldn't install grub installer either so I couldn't boot in. That was probably something I was doing wrong though as I don't ever use Linux.
However setup having network issues kinda imply to me the on-board nic is dead. Not a single flicker on the activity lights.

Seems odd. What about just a simple Linux Mint USB disk? You dont actually have to do the install.. Just boot to it and have a look around at the devices.

nemisisak

Explorer
Seems odd. What about just a simple Linux Mint USB disk? You dont actually have to do the install.. Just boot to it and have a look around at the devices.
Thanks for your help John.

I got annoyed in the end and just returned the board and replaced it with the gen 2 board. No real difference with the boards its just the gen 2 board has PCI gen 4. The NIC is exactly the same being X550 and it showed up straight away.

After trying Linux and not finding the NIC I knew there must be something broken. When removing the old board I saw an imprint on one the rear pads which was slightly indented. This is where youre meant to remove some of the motherboard risers to stop it shorting the board. I assume whoever had this previous to me and returned it did so because they didnt remove the risers and shorted the NIC in the process.

Anyway all sorted. Now I can start the disk burn in process which will probably take the system all week =/ Happy to be progressing though :)

Yeah Intel devices are loved around here becuase they work as you said, "straight away". I knew something was afoul.

Glad you got it sorted mate, cheers.