USB ethernet configured but not working - no ping/connection, link state flaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamafish

Dabbler
I have tried to add a USB ethernet adaptor so that I could connect to the FreeNAS GUI/shell via my out-of-band management network, it's a D-Link DUB-E100 revision D. Adding an internal PCI-E NIC is not currently practical...

I plugged it in, it gets recognised and appears as device ue0, I configured an IP in the GUI and the config seems fine, however I cannot ping or connect to the gateway or any host on the subnet, neither can anything else get a response from the FreeNAS on the assigned IP, DHCP does not work if I remove the static address.

The adaptor is connected by a short cable to a switch on an untagged VLAN access port, the switch reports successful negotiation of a 1ooMb full-duplex link, flow control is disabled on the port.

Here is the logging around the insertion:

> ugen1.3: <vendor 0x2001> at usbus1
> axe0: <vendor 0x2001 product 0x1a02, rev 2.00/0.02, addr 3> on usbus1
> miibus0: <MII bus> on axe0
> ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> PHY 16 on miibus0
> ukphy0: none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto, auto-flow
> ue0: <USB Ethernet> on axe0
> ue0: Ethernet address: 31:ec:04:f3:96:9d
> ue0: link state changed to DOWN
> ue0: link state changed to UP

The link state flaps up/down and this repeats in the log.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

iamafish

Dabbler
Yes the DUB-E100 revision B1 is listed as an ASIX AX88772 chipset, but I can't confirm if the revision D is still using a compatible chip, although the console output does mention "axe0" so that points in the ASIX direction.

I may just have to try a different adaptor, thought I'd try one I had at hand first.

Status
Not open for further replies.