Older intel build

Quicksilv3r

Dabbler
Hey guys,

So I just upgraded my main pc which frees up a few parts for my existing FreeNas build.

Right now, I’m using an custom built case, old HP type motherboard with an intel q6600 2.6ghz and 8gb of ECC ram with 3x 4tb WD red drives and a USB for booting up with FreeNas 11.2 installed and running pretty smoothly for simple file serving and media streaming.

My now retired system was a gigabyte EP45 intel motherboard, intel core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz with 8gb mixed ddr ram.

I’m looking at my old rig with its Antec case and trying to figure out if I should swap the E8400 for the Q6600 on the gigabyte board with the ECC ram.

Yorick

Wizard

Quicksilv3r

Dabbler

Yorick

Wizard
Marginally higher Passmark on the Q6600, also higher TDP than the E8400. Slower per-core performance, more cores, a little more power draw, a little more oomph but still not enough for oodles of software transcode: I'd say it's mostly a wash. I'd probably stick with the E8400 just for the slightly lower power draw.

Edit: I'd also stick with the existing board and ECC memory, because paranoia, but people have run without ECC memory for years and are fine. Others weren't. Choose your level of worry. :)

Quicksilv3r

Dabbler
Marginally higher Passmark on the Q6600, also higher TDP than the E8400. Slower per-core performance, more cores, a little more power draw, a little more oomph but still not enough for oodles of software transcode: I'd say it's mostly a wash. I'd probably stick with the E8400 just for the slightly lower power draw.

Edit: I'd also stick with the existing board and ECC memory, because paranoia, but people have run without ECC memory for years and are fine. Others weren't. Choose your level of worry. :)
Awesome, thanks for the response. I've been going back and forth. I think I'll stick with the Q6600 but put the crappy HP motherboard into my Antec case so I get better airflow and a bigger case for future hardware upgrades.