Novice Question about "Degraded" on Dashboard

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
First, thank you in advance for helping me.
Second, let me just say that I'm a FreeNAS novice and have no idea how to proceed and address my problem. I've searched the forums for "Degraded," but most threads deal with status reports and things that are completely unfamiliar. I have no idea what most of them do, how to generate them, or if they even address my specific issue.

That said, I have a relatively new DIY FreeNAS. I say relatively new because I built the system in early 2017, but because I had some issues configuring FreeNAS and other things happened in my life, the system has been turned off for all but 2-3 months since then. Finally, last weekend I decided to prioritize finishing the job and getting the system up and running, and on Saturday (10/19) turned it on for the first time in a long time.

The Dashboard had a big yellow "Degraded" label over one of the graphs on the desktop. The label looks like a sticky note. It only says, "7.01 TB available" and under this, "Volume1 ZFS Pool." Below this there's a link, "Reports." Clicking on it just shows a graph entitled, "disk-ada0 (disk_time)." Nothing on the graph seems unusual.

Doing some more blind experimentation, I saw nothing strange in the Reporting until I chose DEVICES > Select All. Now I see the graph for "disk-ada1 (disk time)" is blank, but the graphs for the other disks all seem reasonable (i.e., they have non-zero values of Bytes/s over time).

Also, I received two alerts:
Pool Volume1 state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
Sun, 20 Oct 2019 20:37:41 GMT
and
New feature flags are available for volume Volume1. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" subsection in the User Guide "Installing and Upgrading" chapter and "Upgrading" section for more instructions.
Wed, 08 Aug 2018 19:25:02 GMT

Since the system has been turned off, the second alert just passed me by.

What do you suggest I do to track down the problem(s) and fix it (them)?

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Here it is. I'm going to read the suggested link.

Code:
root@Tranquilitynow-NAS:~ # zpool status -v
  pool: Volume1 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for
        the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:48 with 0 errors on Sun Feb 24 00:00:48 2019
config:

NAME                                                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Volume1                                             DEGRADED     0     0     0
          mirror-0                                          DEGRADED     0     0     0
            gptid/c0670675-9818-11e8-ab79-0cc47acd80d0.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0
            8266927893842817191                             UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/c250975f-9818-11e8-ab79-0cc47acd80d0.eli
          mirror-1                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/c3a44629-9818-11e8-ab79-0cc47acd80d0.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/c5654b3f-9818-11e8-ab79-0cc47acd80d0.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:06 with 0 errors on Mon Oct 21 03:45:06 2019
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
          nvd0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Last edited:

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Did you physically remove a disk or did the drive fail?
Didn't remove anything. Drive likely failed.

I am hoping there are some ways to test it to be certain before purchasing a replacement.

There's also the possibility, with a very small likelihood, that the cable to the drive is loose.

Last edited: