noob with Storage and Sharing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Packer

Cadet
I'm new to FreeNAS, and networking in general, but not to PC's. I have two main questions: why has 1.5TB of storage disappeared? and what's happening with windows recognising more shares than I've created? Some pointers to the Kodi issue would be helpful.

The system I've built has the following specs:
Gigabyte S1151 Mini-ITX GA-H170N-WIFI DDR4 mb, Core i3 6100 3.7GHz, 4 x 6TB WD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Red drives, 8GB RAM

The drives are setup as a mirror, so there is 11TB of storage. (I do time-lapse photography and have a few RAW files) The system is running FreeNAS 9.3 as per the screenshot
vb8svRg.jpg

Yesterday the system was using 7.6TB when I turned off the auto snapshot service(?) to move some files around. Now 9.2TB is used, without me adding any more data to the NAS. I cannot see than any files are duplicated either. So the loss of storage has me baffled.

There is a storage pool for media, which is intended to be shared with a media streaming device running Kodi. I'm not sure if I have that setup correctly - it's part of the main volume/storage pool called vault. At the moment the Kodi device cannot see the NAS.
IMIf4xa.jpg

Windows 10 has no problems recognising the shares that have been created - in fact it sees three shares, not the two I created. It's as if one of the users created is recognised as a share in Win10.
Shares -
RlqTbzF.jpg

Users -
YNZCVXk.jpg

Windows network -
HdoR2nh.jpg

I've read the documentation and spent hours trawling this and other forums.
I suspect there are compounding errors.
If anyone can give me some guidance that would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Rob Packer

Cadet
Thanks pirateghost. I hadn't noticed that. Have changed the users and removed the Microsoft A/C setting - but nothing has changed.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Do you have snapshots enabled on any of the datasets or on the root volume? That would explain 'losing space'

Rob Packer

Cadet
I currently have snapshots turned off so the shuffling of files would not create huge snapshots. The last snapshot (yesterday morning) showed disk use at 7.4TB. Now it's 9.3TB with no new files added. The snapshots themselves total only 150MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.