No VirtIO Drivers in FreeNAS11-U2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
I decided to give FreeNAS11-U2 a quick look around since I haven't used FreeNAS in a few months. My current system is running unRAID 6.4-RC7 and I spun up a FreeBSD KVM and went to install FreeNAS, at the start of the installation it said it didn't detect any drives, even though I was sure I added one. I shut down the VM and changed from VirtIO to SATA and it detected the HDD image. I installed it and rebooted, but upon boot completion there was no IP, which I assumed was because I was using the VirtIO NIC drivers, which I apparently can't change.

I've run FreeNAS multiple times under KVM/ESXi and never had any issues before up until now. Is this something specific to unRAID?

m0nkey_

MVP
FreeNAS typically does not behave correctly under KVM. If you wish to virtualize it for testing, it's best to use VMware as it's stable running under it and includes the VMware guest kernel module.

brando56894

Wizard
I've had it working with no issues (other than bhyve not working) before when using Arch/Ubuntu/CentOS with KVM. Unless something changed recently in between Corral and FreeNAS 11 regarding virtualization.

I just tested the newest nightly with VMware on my Windows laptop and the new UI seems to have regressed since the last time I've gave it a try. All sections worked then, and now 75% of them don't work. I'm going to assume things are being refactored.

m0nkey_

MVP
Corral was canned. FreeNAS 11 is a continuation of FreeNAS 9.10.2 based on FreeBSD 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.