No Performance Increase after Ram Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet
Hello, I've been using freenas for sometime now and really love everything about it. Right now I have 4 2tb drives in a raidz configuration. I was using 8gb of ram and was getting 50-60mbs write speed. I figured I had about the minimum required amount of ram for the drives I had so I decided to upgrade to 16gb of ram. My write speeds are exactly the same more or less. This doesn't make any sense to me since everything I've read centers around ram being the single most important thing when it comes to performance with the configuration I have. My motherboard is an asus m35m1-i.

On the flip side, before settling in on freenas, I decided to try it on an older pc using a gigabyte 780g motherboard with an athlon 3 core cpu. I only had 2gb of ddr2 memory on that setup with the same 4 2tb drives. So in theory, the 2gb of ram should have been a huge bottleneck. But my write speeds were around the 120-130mbs range. So either everything I've read about the importance of ram is being exaggerated and the motherboard and cpu is far more important, or I have a serious underlying problem I don't know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
50-60mbps using what? CIFS? Samba is usually CPU bound, look at "top" while transferring. Also make sure you do not have memory tunables under System->Sysctl/Tunables limiting the memory of ZFS.

Daisuke

Contributor
William, I remember clearly that on 8.0.2 I used to be able to transfer easy at 75-80MB/sec to NAS and 115-120MB/sec from it with CIFS. Now the speeds are reduced to 45-50MB/sec to NAS and 75-80MB/sec to it. Nothing changed on my hardware, just the FreeNAS version. Check my signature for a detailed log of my build, as well towards the end of thread the optimizations tried to re-gain the lost speed.

Cadet
Thanks for responding. Yes I am using cifs. If all things equal, shouldn't doubling the amount of ram still increase the performance?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The thing to keep in mind is where your bottleneck is. What is the "bottleneck" is quite broad and is alot more than just "PCIe is 250MB/sec/lane" statistics. It's how all of the hardware and software work together and accomplish the task as well as how the two machines accomplish the moving/copying of data to and from the server and the network hardware in between.

Troubleshooting "slow" performance is possible for a billion different reasons. Only a properly designed system will give you the expected 80+MB/sec speeds that you would like to get. Ideally, over 100MB/sec is very possible.

How about you list all of the hardware on your server and the networking equipment in between your server and desktop.

Cadet
asus m35m1-i, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) running at 1600 speed, 2 x 2tb Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000, 2 x 2tb Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS, intel gigabit nic card(can't remembe which model). All installed in a lian li pcq25b case. I'm using a 1 x D-Link GO-SW-8G between the server and uverse rg.

Stephens

Patron
The first step is to use iperf. And since transfers have a source, path, and destination, you have to look at the path (cables, switch/router) and other PC as well. Also, has any CIFS optimiazation been done? The E35M1-I *will* support gigabit speeds under ideal conditions.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
asus m35m1-i, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) running at 1600 speed, 2 x 2tb Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000, 2 x 2tb Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS, intel gigabit nic card(can't remembe which model). All installed in a lian li pcq25b case. I'm using a 1 x D-Link GO-SW-8G between the server and uverse rg.

Do you mean the E35M1? I googled M35M1 and I get junk stuff and most of it isn't in english. I sent you a PM too.

Cadet
There's a few versions of the e35m1 board. The version I have is the I. Just answered your pm. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.