SOLVED no Mail alerts - FreeNAS 11 - mail itself working

Status
Not open for further replies.

cephyr

Dabbler
Hey,

I have the problem that I don't get any mail alerts.
I am running FreeNAS since version 9 and I never got any alerts, I already had two failed disks and always just noticed by viewing the red Alert in the web interface.
At the moment I am on the FreeNAS 11 Stable train with all updates
My email settings work just fine, test email works, also the command "mail" and "sendmail" in the CLI to the specific email address or to the root user are working
the root user has the mail address set-up, I've also checked /etc/mail/aliases and /etc/aliases if the mail is set up for the root user.

How to troubleshoot this and how to simulate critical errors?

Tanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you saying that you do not get any emails from FreeNAS at all or that you just don't get some specific alert messages? You should see a daily log email even if it doesn't contain anything.

And you are running FreeNAS 11.0-U4, correct?

I'm asking these stupid sounding questions because I try not to assume anything and I like clarification because based on your posting you should be getting these daily reports at a minimum.

Also under System -> Advanced, look for a setting called Periodic Notification user: and ensure it says "root".

cephyr

Dabbler
hey,

yes I did not receive any notification at all and I am on FreeNAS 11.0-U4. After entering a different mailserver it works now. I've reverted it back to the old mail server then and it still works. Don't know what the problem was.
I thought daily notifications are gone with the recent versions of freenas? How to turn them off? Changing periodic notification user to mailnull?
And how to simulate an critical error for testing purposes?

joeschmuck

Old Man

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.