No error or reboot but my truenas goes inaccessible at the listed IP on my startup console

Snowysan

Dabbler
I've recently build a truenas server.

Plex
TrueNAS Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3
OS on 64 gb ssd
4600g
32gb non ecc ram
asus b450m-a II
EVGA 220-G5-0650-X1 Super Nova 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W

The first time i tried building this server a month ago it had old bad components and threw an error kernel code (12) and rebooted itself often so i gave up. However I rebuilt all new parts and dont get any error now not does my server reboot itself and don't think the two problems are related. I'm just trying to share info.
I'm mainly just running plex off this server, (2 14tb drives mirrored atm). Plex and the IP listed on my startup console sometimes go completely inaccessible and I have to hard reboot the NAS and hope when it comes on it fixes the problem (which at the moment it does). I've listed my network settings the best i know in hopes that it can help lead us to fix my problem. I don't believe this is a plex problem due to the entire IP address being inaccessible on a web browser on the same network when I'm having this issue.
Any tips/questions/comments or advice are surely appreciated!! thank you

nas.PNG
nas2.PNG
nas3.PNG

Snowysan

Dabbler
When I setup this server the first time i did so attached to a router on my home network and created a static IP no problem. (The IP set was 192.168.68.17) This time i set it up I connected it directly to the modem in another room of my house. It makes me use the gateway of the modem and not the router (if im not mistaken) which is 192.168.0.1 (modem) instead of 192.168.68.1 (router). The modem gives me address 192.168.0.77 as the address for my NAS and i can't change it. When i setup static ip for the nas attached to the modem it lists it on my statup console under the WEB UI address as well as the given 192.168.0.77

so my startup console will give me the options list 1-11 and this list my accessible web ui address like:
192.168.0.50 (attempted new static IP)

however, i'm only able to access the web ui at 192.168.0.77
therefore i tried to just setup my static ip to the same address 192.168.0.77 and hope that fixed my problems, which I'm not sure if it has fixed it since I'm not having this server going inaccessible problem leading me to hard cycle server daily.

Snowysan

Dabbler
I'm able to access the WEB UI and use plex as expected all day everyday until It has a problem and i have to reboot server. (almost daily)

danb35

Hall of Famer

Snowysan

Dabbler
Realtek LAN--there's your likely problem. Put in an Intel gigabit NIC and you'll likely be fine.
im looking on amazon, could you recommend one between $15-40 USD please? i don't know much about these attachable ethernet ports

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Intel Desktop CT (EXPI9301CT) is the best replacement for a dodgy Realtek, and the Intel I210-T1 works fine too (at a higher price point because it is lots newer). However, there are lots of fake Intel cards out there. Be aware. Cards sold on Amazon or eBay are more likely than not fakes or knockoff clones. NewEgg (if you are buying direct, not from a "reseller" advertising on NewEgg) is somewhat better, but I do have two cards that NewEgg ripped me off on some years ago that were fakes.

The PC market is a "sufficiency" market; Realtek wins a few bucks every time a board with a Realtek is sold because the mfr deemed that part sufficient to the task of pulling up a web browser or downloading a driver. Servers tend to be much more demanding of their ethernet silicon. This is why we're very pushy about using hardware that is known to work well here in the forums.

Snowysan

Dabbler
I bought a new Intel Pro ethernet port/chip/PCIE. Do I need to configure any network settings for my NAS system for this to work? I remember I set up static IP on the NAS when I first setup NAS with the stock built in Realtek ethernet from motherboard.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You will probably need to reconfigure the network settings. Since your existing ethernet is built into the mainboard, you can go into the network settings, and screencap or print out stuff. Check under the network tab for "Interfaces", "Static Routes", and "Global Configuration" in particular. There are other places such as sharing protocol configuration pages that might also reference interfaces, but these are far more unusual. Once you have a copy of your settings, install the new card and reboot. If you hook up a monitor and keyboard, the console screen will offer you menu options to help you in the reconfiguration task, see items 1), 2), and 3) in particular.

Snowysan

Dabbler
You will probably need to reconfigure the network settings. Since your existing ethernet is built into the mainboard, you can go into the network settings, and screencap or print out stuff. Check under the network tab for "Interfaces", "Static Routes", and "Global Configuration" in particular. There are other places such as sharing protocol configuration pages that might also reference interfaces, but these are far more unusual. Once you have a copy of your settings, install the new card and reboot. If you hook up a monitor and keyboard, the console screen will offer you menu options to help you in the reconfiguration task, see items 1), 2), and 3) in particular.
perfect, thank you for your help!

Snowysan

Dabbler
I wiped my old network config and setup everything the same as how it was before. Set the new network to be have the same static IP. My plex doesn't allow direct connections to remote devices like it did before I replaced the ethernet card. I have the same plex port forward on my modem for plex and plex is still accessible outside my house, just not directly (making my system transcode quality down). I'm set to the default 32400 but still can't access directly, any suggestions?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've got nothing for that as I don't use the apps/jails on TrueNAS. I believe that there's some sort of bridge that connects the in-host networks to the physical ethernet. Plex has a relatively broken mechanism for networking that assumes lots of stuff about how your network is designed -- for example, it will not work on a properly designed IP network without lots of band-aids. Make sure your jail config for Plex is still correct according to whatever the current instructions on the forum are, it's pretty safe to say wacky things will happen if this got messed up.