No disk activity light on Supermicro backplane

revengineer

Contributor
Hi,
I have a Supermicro CSE-846E16-R1200B with BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane. The backplane is connected via LSI 9210-8i to an X9DRi-F motherboard. When the used server was delivered, I did a quick install of freenas and saw the disk activity light flickering on drive use.

I then did a number of modifications. First, I took the server apart for a fan mod. Second, I upgraded the IPMI firmware and BIOS and reset the BIOS to default settings. Third, I installed two internal SSDs for an OS mirror; both drives are connect to SATA ports on the motherboard. Finally, I changed the 1200 W power supplies to 900 W quiet models. One of these steps resulted in the hard disk LED on the drive bay to no longer flicker on activity event though the drives are working perfectly fine. The LEDs are off at all times. I can make the red LED blink by using the sas2ircu or sesutil locate function.

I contacted supermicro but they could not help because I have a modified, non-standard machine. They suggested to reseat the cables which I did not with no change in situation. They offered to RMA the backplane, but I do not want to go through the hassle. It is more likely that the issue lies elsewhere.

So my question to the group is whether someone has experienced this before and has a solution to get the disk activity light to flicker.

Thank you.