Find a drive on a SAS backplane

Find a drive on a SAS backplane

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Chris Moore submitted a new resource:

Find a drive on a SAS backplane - use of sas2ircu

I am creating this resource for myself and others that have systems with SAS backplanes that their drives are attached to. @danb35 has created a script for monitoring drives that fault and automatically turning on the locate LED, but some people, like me, might not want a script running and just want a resource to remind them how to turn the locate LED on when a drive needs to be identified.

The sas2ircu is the SAS2 IR (Integrated Raid) CU (Configuration...

Read more about this resource...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Consider also looking at sesutil, specifically since it saves a few steps--you can just do things like sesutil locate da12 on, which will turn on the LED for da12.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Consider also looking at sesutil, specifically since it saves a few steps--you can just do things like sesutil locate da12 on, which will turn on the LED for da12.
Came here to say the same thing. sesutil probably works whenever sasnircu works.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Just remember to go back with the OFF before you take the drive out because you can't use sesutil to turn the locate off while the drive is not in the system. Once the new drive is in, then you can turn it off, but not while the slot is empty.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just remember to go back with the OFF before you take the drive out because you can't use sesutil to turn the locate off while the drive is not in the system.
True. And don't use sesutil locate all off, which has the potential to leave your system in a very unstable state.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
True. And don't use sesutil locate all off, which has the potential to leave your system in a very unstable state.
It has been quite a while since I needed to replace a drive in my home system. I needed to go back to look at this resource so I could refresh my memory on the syntax and replace a drive today. First fault in about 1.5 years.