"no configured interfaces were found" after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
I've been using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314 with the same old hardware and this past summer I was able to update regularly with no problems. Then there was an update a couple of months ago that messed up my system. It would try to update, and error out. I gave up after a month of trying and went back to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314 on a backup flash drive. For the last couple of months the system has performed flawlessly, so I thought maybe I would try and see what the latest update was. It updated this evening, no problems but when it booted, I see this message at the bottom of the console :
no configured interfaces were found

And I can not link through the web interface. It just times out. So I ran ifconfig and compared it to screenshots from other people who posted the same error. I see that mine does not have the line that starts with inet 192.168.2.42, etc. that I got before the update. That line was absent. So I rebooted and selected the original FreeNAS install and it booted fine and I again have a web interface. The ifconfig shows the usual code in the inet line. I wonder why the update refuses to allow an ethernet connection?

gpsguy

Are you using the onboard Realtek 8111DL NIC? Perhaps they dropped support for it.

Realtek NIC's don't work very well with FreeNAS. Get yourself an Intel Pro/1000 CT for about $30 USD. It's the goto card to resolve this sort of issue and will give you better performance.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
It is an old AMD board, so I know the NIC is definitely not Intel. I have another board with an Intel NIC, so perhaps I should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.