SOLVED No configured interfaces were found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwallace1984

Dabbler
I set up our home NAS a while ago and haven't done much tinkering with it since.

Recently, our house was struck by lightning... The PSU in the NAS was fried, so I replaced it. Our AT&T uverse modem was also fried, and they replaced it.

After I couldn't access FreeNAS via the gui, I plugged in a monitor and see "No configured interfaces were found."

I typed 9, ifconfig, and this is what I got.

Code:
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
		  nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
		  options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		  inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
		  inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
		  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
		  nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

I don't know if the problem lies in the new modem, or if more damage was done to the NAS... My instinct is to restore to factory defaults, but I wanted another opinion before I go there.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I set up our home NAS a while ago and haven't done much tinkering with it since.

Recently, our house was struck by lightning... The PSU in the NAS was fried, so I replaced it. Our AT&T uverse modem was also fried, and they replaced it.

After I couldn't access FreeNAS via the gui, I plugged in a monitor and see "No configured interfaces were found."

I typed 9, ifconfig, and this is what I got.

Code:
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
		  nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
		  options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		  inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
		  inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
		  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
		  nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

I don't know if the problem lies in the new modem, or if more damage was done to the NAS... My instinct is to restore to factory defaults, but I wanted another opinion before I go there.
Well, it might mean that your NIC got fried... yikes!
Did you try re-configuring your network settings from the console?

jwallace1984

Dabbler
I haven't done anything yet... Which option should I choose to do that? Could you point me to a guide on how to do this?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I just get:

"Select an interface (q to quit)"
If FreeNAS doesn't list any interfaces to configure, it didn't detect any at boot time - which increases the likelihood your NIC got toasted by the lightning strike.

I assume you've rebooted the box?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hmmm... per the forum rules, would you please post your system information? We really need more detailed information before we can help you.

In the meantime: are you using LAN ports built-in on your motherboard, or a plug-in network card? If you're using mobo ports, have you checked the BIOS settings to make sure it/they simply haven't been disabled there, somehow? Lightning can do some strange things... in fact, I'd double-check all of the system's BIOS settings.

Do you have another NIC you can you plug in and test in the system?

jwallace1984

Dabbler
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 with LAN built in. I'll take a look at the BIOS settings tomorrow and see what can be seen.

gpsguy

On a good day, it's still a Realtek NIC. Your best bet, would be to buy an Intel Pro/1000 CT NIC (~$30 USD). Not only should it fix the current issue, but you'll be better off with it in the long run.

Do a forum search on Realtek to read about performance issues with them and FreeNAS.

jwallace1984

Dabbler
Onboard LAN Function is Enabled in the BIOS settings.

I don't have an NIC here to test with. Before I buy one, are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of with the Intel model you mentioned?

gpsguy

No, it's compatible and highly recommended.

Even if your Realtek NIC was working and you showed up, complaining of bad performance, we'd make the same recommendation.

Before I buy one, are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of with the Intel model you mentioned?

jwallace1984

Dabbler
I received and installed the new NIC today, but the same error presents itself. Is there some additional setup i need to perform?

gpsguy

Use option #1 and configure the network interface, probably em0. Either give it a static IP address or enable it for DHCP.

jwallace1984

Dabbler
Success!...ish
I gave the NAS a static ip using option 1 and now I can log on to the gui.

The NAS also shows up in my network in File Explorer, but "windows cannot access //freenas." All my previous settings seem to be intact. Any ideas?

gpsguy

Since you gave FreeNAS a static address, you'll also need to configure option #4 (default route) and #5 (DNS entries).

I would mark this thread a "Solved" and start a new thread for the current problem. For backstory, you might mention this thread.

jwallace1984

Dabbler
After much digging and trial and error, I had to go into my router's settings to assign the same static ip address to my machine. I am able to see my shares and read & write without having configured default route or dns entries.

Thanks everyone for your help!

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear that the problem is resolved now and that you're back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.