NFSv4 on FreeNAS 9.3-STABLE: no ID mapping on Ubuntu 14.04 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

neubert

Dabbler
Hi,

I enabled NFSv4 in the NFS service configuration for FreeNAS 9.3. In the option box for the NFS shares themselves, maproot maps root to root and mapall maps to N/A. No security setting selected.

I can mount NFS exports on my Ubuntu 14.04 client but the users are mapped to nobody.

idmapd is running on the client. Tried it with both domain set and unset in idmapd.conf on the client.

Searched the web and the forums for other hints that might apply but did not reach a conclusion. No clue what to do for diagnostics either. I thus ask for some suggestions here.

Thank you,
Boris

neubert

Dabbler
No, I did not. Will probably file an issue at the FreeNAS bug tracker.
Boris

John Duino

Cadet
We are having mapping problems, as well, although to CentOS 6 and 7. Did you file a bug, and if so, the # so we can track it, please?

neubert

Dabbler
Hi there, totally forgot about this. I am currently unable to follow up on this. Would you mind filing the bug? Thanks, Boris

Junicast

Patron

Junicast

Patron
What do you mean by "over-defined"? I don't understand why you filed another bug report.

John Duino

Cadet
What do you mean by "over-defined"? I don't understand why you filed another bug report.
Sorry, poor choice of words. In our case we are seeing issues whether it is NFSv4 or v3, with and without LDAP, client of CentOS 6 & 7. So to narrow it down with those limits, I feel, brought too narrow a focus when I fear it is something deeper/broader. My ticket sounds like it is being dismissed as 'user config issue' but I'm not so certain given the variety of tests and two environments. I'll dig into it some more today.

John Duino

Cadet
Doing some other digging I've discovered a deeper issue (for us, at least). uid will map in v3/v4, but the group never did. Investigating further, directly on the FreeNAS box, in any of the disk space (not just in ZPOOL, shares, etc), if I create a directory, then create a file in that directory it ALWAYS inherits the group of the directory. Touch a file, chgrp dir, touch another file, and the group of those files will reflect the group of the directory at the time of their creation. I'm not terribly versed in the more detailed parameters of zfs so am reading up on them, and nfsv4acls, just in case, but I'm not seeing anything obvious at this time.

neubert

Dabbler
Dear John and Peter,

I walked through the HOWTO mentioned in the answer to Peter's bug report. Nonetheless, I did not manage to create a reasonable user mapping. All is mapped to nobody on Ubuntu 15.04 which indicates to me that the id mapping daemon works (it runs) but the mapping fails. It suppose it's an issue with the NFSv4 domain. How do we find out the domain FreeNAS uses for NFSv4? Were you able to make better progress than me? BTW it's a plain vanilla configuration for me without Kerberos, LDAP, NIS, ... just want to map users based on user names.

Kind regards,
Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.