ldap NFS user mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

I've been using linux as a fileserver but I'm just switching to FreeNAS 9.3
There an OpenLDAP server which I use for user authorization. I already set it up under "Directory" in FreeNAS.
"getent passwd" is already showing me those users and I was also able to set permissions to folder based on those directory users.

What I'm still struggling with is the user mappings.
When I mount an NFS share with
"sudo mount -t nfs freenas:/mnt/mypool/mydataset /mnt/mylocalfolder"
on a linux box I get some strange behaviour.

The files that get shown are owned by some non-existant user with a weird user ID like 4194965297

On the linux client (xubuntu 14.04) I remove the mappings to nobody:nogroup from /etc/idmapd.conf.
Before that every file was owned by nobody:nogroup on the client.

Since I have on the Server as well on the client a synchronized user/uid group/gid state I'd like to make use of this in the most decent way.

Could someone point me in the right direction, please.

Edit:
One thing I'd like to add:
When I use no LDAP at all, but create local users whom I give the savem uid as they have in LDAP, accessing shares works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Junicast

Patron
*bump*
Does someone have a clue?
I'd really love to get LDAP working.

D

dlavigne

I'm assuming you've checked "Enable NFSv4" in Services -> NFS? If so, you may have stumbled across a bug as the NFSv4 implementation is pretty new. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Junicast

Patron
That is right, NFS4 was activated. I just deactivated it and now everything works as expected.
Anyway I don't know if I'm able to judge if this is actually a bug. I thought I just set it up wrong somehow.
So I will then file a bug report. Thank you!

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

That is right, NFS was activated. I just deactivated it and now everything works as expected.

Yeah, sounds like something not quite right is happening.

Junicast

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.