NFS Share with ESX 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NippAero

Cadet
New user here.....

I recently install my first FreeNAS server to allow for share storage with my ESX hosts. I have been reading though all the threads on the subject. I am still confused on how the permissions work with NFS.

I have:
FreeNAS 9.10.2
ESX 5.5

I read the ESX only uses the root user to map to the NFS datastore. Which seems to work because I can map and browse the datastore from my ESX server.

freenas_no_root_squash.png

My question is how does this relate to the actual file permissions I set up on the dataset. I created a local "vmware" users and set the permissions to it when I created the dataset. Can someone explain to me how these two things are related? I am trying to wrap my head around how NFS is working in this case.

Capture.PNG

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I use NFS to share back a datastore to ESXi 6.0 from a FreeNAS 9.10.2 VM, which works great, BTW.

Haven't fiddled with the settings in nearly a year... but I just checked and I have Owner(user)=root and Owner(group)=administrators on the dataset, with the Maproot User=root and Maproot Group=wheel on the NFS share.

So it doesn't seem to matter that the group differs between the two. This may not be true with respect to the user account; I haven't experimented with using different user accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.