NFS and CIFS shows different content

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullepol

Dabbler
I'm using FreeNAS 8.0.2 with a raidz. Connecting with CIFS from a ubuntu 11.10 shows all the content, whilst using NFS only shows the content of some directories but not of some others.

Currently I use CIFS to get around it, but ubuntu's automounting for CIFS is flawed, so I'd prefer to use NFS.

leenux_tux

Patron
mullepol,

I have a very similar setup in that I have a couple of volumes (music, movies) where both are accessed from Windows using SMB and from Linux(Fedora Core) using NFS, this is for Mythtv.

I don't have the issues you are seeing, however, it does sound like security setup issues to me. Plus maybe the security settings for the "type of ACL" in the permissions settings for the volume you have configured. As I understand it FreeNAS "likes" or "prefers" you to use "Unix" type ACL's, what do you have set ??

Leenux_tux

mullepol

Dabbler
I use unix acl throughout. And I've done a "chmod -R 775" to clean up file permissions. In nfs I have set userall/groupall as myself.

leenux_tux

Patron
mullepol,

I have my permissions setup a little differently to yours....

I have the owner set to "nobody" and the group set to "cifsusers". I have added the user account that connects from Windows and Linux to that group (they are different).

I have attached some screen shots to show how I have it setup. If you follow them through in order (01, 02, 03, 04 etc) they may be helpful

One thing I did notice when I was taking the screen shots was that the guest account settings are different for the SMB setup, however, it doesn't matter in my case as I am not allowing guest access.

03_MUSIC_SMB_SETTINGS.JPG 06_MUSIC_NFS_SETTINGS.JPG 01_MOVIES_VOLUME.JPG 02_MUSIC_VOLUME.JPG 04_MOVIES_SMB_SETTINGS.JPG 05_MOVIES_NFS_SETTINGS.JPG

fluca1978

Explorer
I'm using FreeNAS 8.0.2 with a raidz. Connecting with CIFS from a ubuntu 11.10 shows all the content, whilst using NFS only shows the content of some directories but not of some others.

Currently I use CIFS to get around it, but ubuntu's automounting for CIFS is flawed, so I'd prefer to use NFS.

The best thing is to analyze the directories and or files that are not shown in NFS. Compare them to those that are shown to see what changes on their type, permissions, flags and so on.

mullepol

Dabbler
After a really long time, I got back to this problem. I think I've discovered the problem now. I have nested volumes and they don't work over NFS for some reason.

My NAS volumes
- storage (volume)
- - music (volume)
- - backups (directory)
- - video (directory)
- - userfiles (volume)

In this case, only the ones that are directories work over NFS, apart from the "root" storage. If I understand it correctly, "all directories" in settings is for the other way around, so it doesn't matter in this case. So for the directory "music" to be accessible over NFS, I have to share it explicitly, by setting up a separate NFS folder "storage/music". It works, but I wonder if it is the correct way of doing it?

xbmcg

Explorer
Soft links could work imho through nfs too (at least on linux), if you set the right nfsd export parameter to allow resolving / exporting linked volumes / folders etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.