NFS 4.x vSphere datastore read only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon K

Explorer
Running FreeNAS 9.10

Hi all - created a new dataset and shared it via NFS. NFS 4.1 is enabled in the NFS service. Not requiring any special credentials. Have the export configuration in FreeNAS locked to two specific hosts. The datastore shows up "read only" in vSphere client, but when I check from SSH on the ESXi host I see:

[root@krcesx2:~] cat /etc/vmware/esx.conf | grep NFS
/nfs41/NFS_VM4/NasVolumeUID = "f173690f-93bbb155-0000-000000000000"
/nfs41/NFS_VM4/readOnly = "false"
/nfs41/NFS_VM4/hosts = "172.16.100.102"
/nfs41/NFS_VM4/share = "/mnt/StoragePool/NFS_VM4"
/nfs41/NFS_VM4/enabled = "true"
/nfs41/NFS_VM4/authType = "1"

So it's not mounted as read-only, but it's some how displaying that. When I SSH into the host and go to /vmfs/volumes/NFS_VM4 and do a "touch test" I get an error that it's read-only. What am I missing? NFS3 datastores work fine.

Thanks all!

Mlovelace

Guru
NFS 4.1 is enabled in the NFS service.
FreeNAS is listed as supporting NFSv4, not NFSv4.1 ;)

Not requiring any special credentials.
The only reason, for all intents and purposes, to use NFSv4 would be to specify credentials for the NFS mount; as there's really no difference performance-wise between NFSv3 and NFSv4. NFSv4.1 (pNFS) allows true multipathing to a NFS mount, but AFAIK freeNAS hasn't included NFSv4.1 in it's build.

Jon K

Explorer
Well, you're right! Slip on my part. Yes, I am looking to use 4.1 for pNFS. My mistake - I'll anxiously await 4.1 support from the FreeNAS side. NetApp is supporting it now which is exciting.

Mlovelace

Guru
Well, you're right! Slip on my part. Yes, I am looking to use 4.1 for pNFS. My mistake - I'll anxiously await 4.1 support from the FreeNAS side. NetApp is supporting it now which is exciting.
Right, if you are running clustered data ontap 8.3... I'm still on ontap 8.2.4 as we have some older arrays that snap to the central site that still need 7-mode. :(

Jon K

Explorer
Right, if you are running clustered data ontap 8.3... I'm still on ontap 8.2.4 as we have some older arrays that snap to the central site that still need 7-mode. :(

7 mode - barrrrrrf

Yeah we're on 8020's and 8040's on 8.3 - I just hot added some shelves earlier this week. Always makes your heart beat a little heavy pulling the SAS cables live.

Status
Not open for further replies.