Nextcloud jail or seperate / decicated Linux (Ubuntu) server

Platter7

Dabbler
After the recent update of 11.2-U2 some posts mention an unfunctional Nexcloud plugin.
Is it not just better and safer to use this program on a seperate Linux server when possible?
Would there be a performance drop in Nexcloud when moved to a separate Linux (Ubuntu) server (given equal hardware is used)?

Andy C

Explorer
I tend to avoid plugins unless I am briefly evaluating an application. If I intend using an application long term, I tend to favour:-
  • Jail. Normally clever FreeNAS folk have installed most popular apps in a jail. After all, that's essentially what a plugin is. Failing that, search for folk who have installed the same package on FreeBSD. Normally, the package manager will have it in the repo or, failing that, simply build from source (FreshPorts).
  • VM - I know Debian/Ubuntu and there's lots of info/FAQ's, HOWTO's for these Linux distros for almost every software package out there.
  • Docker - This is increasingly attractive to me (I have installed Portainer on a Docker Host which looks promising) - single management interface, ease of use, updates (as long as the underlying Docker image is updated regularly) but I worry about the (minor ?) performance overhead compared to a jail, networking, mapping FN volumes, autostart etc and feel I need to devote more time to it.
Back to your original question, I recently evaluated NextCloud using the FN plugin which worked fine and as NC offers a lot of useful functionality, I will probably try to install it in a jail using this guide.

https://ramsdenj.com/2017/06/05/nextcloud-in-a-jail-on-freebsd.html

HTH - Andy

Andy C

Explorer

danb35

Hall of Famer

Platter7

Dabbler

danb35

Hall of Famer
It does not seem one installs Nextcloud on FN within 2 minutes with the scripted installation.
Depends how you're counting--if you mean the total, end-to-end time, yes, the script typically takes 15-20 minutes to run. But you start it running and then walk away--you aren't actively interacting with the script.
updating Nextcloud within the jail is not undemanding AFAIK...
What is "not undemanding" about clicking the Update button from inside Nextcloud?

NasKar

Guru
What is "not undemanding" about clicking the Update button from inside Nextcloud?
I've never been able to get that to work. Clicking the update button doesn't do anything.
I have to do this to update
Code:
pkg install sudo php72-phar
sudo -u www php /usr/local/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar

Any thoughts on why the updater button doesn't work?