Newly replaced disk, shows FAULTED during resilver

Raven9810

Dabbler
The other day, one of my drives started reporting errors and degraded my pool. I had a brand new WD Red Plus (CMR) disk available to replace the bad disk, so I ensured the bad disk was OFFLINE, then I shut down my machine, pulled the old disk and replaced with the new one. I powered on my machine and used the "REPLACE" option in the GUI to start the replacement of the old OFFLINE Disk with my new one. I checked the status of the replacement via the shell using the zpool status and it showed that it started the resilver. After 30 minutes, I ran the zpool status again and saw that the new disk is in a FAULTED state and there are multiple write errors. I ran a short SMART test on that disk and it came back with zero errors. I let the resilver finish and after it was complete I was still in a DEGRADED status and the disk was still showing "Replacing" as if it never replaced. I rebooted the machine and after it rebooted, I attempted to replace again, the same thing occurred. This time some read errors presented and the disk shows FAULTED.

To me it seems like this brand new disk is just bad and I need to order a new replacement for this replacement, however, I wanted a second opinion before I ordered one.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ThreeDee

Guru
did you run SMART test on the original "bad" drive?
Is the system in your sig your server then?
are you running off of the onboard SATA connectors or using an HBA card?
have you tried different SATA port and/or cable?

Raven9810

Dabbler
did you run SMART test on the original "bad" drive?
Is the system in your sig your server then?
are you running off of the onboard SATA connectors or using an HBA card?
have you tried different SATA port and/or cable?

I did not run a SMART test on the original.
Yes, the server specs in my sig is my server.
These are run off of the onboard SATA connectors.

I will try a different SATA port and cable this morning and try again.

Thanks,

Raven9810

Dabbler
After testing with a different cable and then testing with a different SATA port, the same issue occurred. I ended up ordering a new drive and it resilvered without issue. So in my case, it was just a faulty drive I guess. Thank you for suggesting the other items to check ThreeDee. It helped narrow down the problem for me.