newbie new installation, pool suggestion for 4 drives (which then will be 8)

horizonbrave

Explorer
Hi,
by posting in the noob section I hope I'll be forgiven (of course I haven't done my homework!).
I'm starting to use freenas with 4 drives of the same size (4TB, that's what I can afford now).
The Dell T320 has 8 bays, so I'm going to buy another 4 in another time.
To keep things easy I'll start with just one pool using the 4 drives.
I have backups.

Which setup would you please suggest (that I could easily extend later to the additional 4 drives of the same size)?
For my usage 3 drives tolerance (on a 8 drives system) is enough but I'll consider 4 in case if it's easier.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

horizonbrave

Explorer
Idea: what about considering my nas as 6-7 bay unit?
I could use the remaning bay(s) for a separate Vdev for backup (of the same capacity of the other 6-7 drives Z3 Vdev - let's say I'll use 2TB drives).
I'm aware that wouldn't be a real backup as it should be located on another machine.
Or can I even consider striping the whole 6-7 drives Vdev to a single drive of the same capacity?
I know you're going to send me to do my homework... :)

EDIT: I can eventually afford 8x 2TB drives to fully populate the unit in case

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
If you intend to use the same machine for burn in of new drives and such I would leave atleast 1 bay empty. I would recommend getting two more drives and set up a 6 wide RAIDZ2 pool, your upgrade path would then be to replace each of the 6 drives with bigger once using the two empty slots.

diedrichg

Wizard
Agreed. You really want a (6) drive RAIDZ2 pool, anything less will just be wasting space. You can build it with your (4) 4TB drives and (2) other drives you have laying around - keep in mind that until those two smaller drives are replaced with 4 TB or larger drives they will be registered as the same size as the smallest drives. But, when you get the cash for two more 4TB drives and replace the smaller drives (one at a time), your pool will then grow to the size you originally intended of (6) 4TB.

Example:
(4) 4TB
(2) 1TB
Will be built as (6) 1TB drives pool.
= 2.86 TiB usable space

Replace the 1TB drives with 4TB drives:
(6) 4TB
= 11.46 TiB usable space

sretalla