BUILD Newbie - migrating from windows. Strategies and hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scareh

Contributor
well transcoding allways takes 100% cpu (not sure from a core perspective or a cpu total perspective) so when having a more powerfull cpu it will be done faster then with a less powerfull one. Not to say it won't allready start playing when a part is transcoded allready (if you use plex that is)

Dice

Wizard
Tanks a lot guys.
In particular to Scareh - that was some scary brain picking at work. Spot on. Excellent! The i3-6100 + 16gb ram it is!

I've commenced sourcing parts from a couple of different retailers:
-A 30GB Sandisk, featuring a 20TB/3y warranty at a great price. Used as boot drive, mirrored onto a Corsair 60gb SSD already in posession.
Motherboard, X11-SSL-F-B and 2x Samsung 8GB DDR4 ECC 2133Mhz 1.2V UDIMM x8 DR M391A1G43DB0-CPB ram is on its way.
Really soon, I will order the rest of the system from the final retailer. But first, I need to sort out a little detail.

Question 1: Is a mybook hdd swap problematic? (ie - are there any wendor specific junk to take into account, in the USB/sata "dongle" that sits in the unit?)
edit: Did some successful googling (this time) that shows my drive does not have any other luxuries than mere usb-sata conversion, no NICs or anything else. Should be good to go.

Question 3:
I've understood that that smaller number of drives in each vdev generates higher IOPS capability, while larger width is optimizing for space. (If these guidelines assume there is a fixed total number of drives that are the base for optimization or differences in performance due to the "parity block calculations" I do not know?)

Edit: Found answers to my ramblings here https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...846-chassis-72-disks.30431/page-2#post-196708

Where would be the proper subforum to post the build log of a DIY casE?

Cheers

Last edited:

johnblanker

Explorer
WOW, great post OP! I like those "If you feel like reading this" accordions!

Someone mentioned using ftp to transfer large files? Why is this? I'm thinking that if the gigabit bandwith is 112MB/s would choosing ftp over smb really matter? I'm new to this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.