Newbie install on power edge r200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokie

Explorer
Hey everyone,
Just joined and only found out about free nas yesterday. Really excited and have some questions.
Sorry if they have been asked a million times but I'm hoping some pro's here can lend me a moment of there time.
I just picked up a dell poweredge R200 quad core 2.6 processor and 2 gig of ram. Two 160G drives connected to a raid controller I think. And I think it has a tv card in it aswell.

question (1) is this machine ok to install free nas? I'm hoping to upgrade to 4 gig of ram before I install

(2) With regard to the drives, if I replace them with two 1tb or 2tb drives would it be sufficient? Can I add extra drives a time a later stage?

(3) I checked the service tag on dells website and came back with some specs. Would someone glance over them and see what you think? Would I use the raid controller or go straight into the sata port on the motherboard? Is it 64bit? Is there a 64bit freenas
service tag 3QTQ64J
Thanks in advance

PE R200 QUAD CORE XEON X3330 (2.66GHZ, 2

PCI-X RISER CARD (1X 64-BIT/133MHZ PCI-X

2GB (4X512MB SINGLE RANK DIMMS) 800MHZ

160GB SATA 7.2K 3.5IN

SAS 6I/R INTERNAL CONTROLLER RAID PCIE

DVD-ROM DRIVE SATA

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey everyone,
Just joined and only found out about free nas yesterday. Really excited and have some questions.
Sorry if they have been asked a million times but I'm hoping some pro's here can lend me a moment of there time.
I just picked up a dell poweredge R200 quad core 2.6 processor and 2 gig of ram. Two 160G drives connected to a raid controller I think. And I think it has a tv card in it aswell.

question (1) is this machine ok to install free nas? I'm hoping to upgrade to 4 gig of ram before I install

(2) With regard to the drives, if I replace them with two 1tb or 2tb drives would it be sufficient? Can I add extra drives a time a later stage?

(3) I checked the service tag on dells website and came back with some specs. Would someone glance over them and see what you think? Would I use the raid controller or go straight into the sata port on the motherboard? Is it 64bit? Is there a 64bit freenas
service tag 3QTQ64J
Thanks in advance

PE R200 QUAD CORE XEON X3330 (2.66GHZ, 2

PCI-X RISER CARD (1X 64-BIT/133MHZ PCI-X

2GB (4X512MB SINGLE RANK DIMMS) 800MHZ

160GB SATA 7.2K 3.5IN

SAS 6I/R INTERNAL CONTROLLER RAID PCIE

DVD-ROM DRIVE SATA

I will never understand why some people refuse to read the documentation before asking questions that they could've read up on in 5 minutes.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

No, your hardware is most certainly not adequate. If you want ZFS, you need at the very least 8GB of RAM. If you don't want ZFS, choose another OS - UFS is deprecated in FreeNAS 9.3.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Smokie

Explorer
I literally just joined the forum 20 minutes ago and am in the process of trying to read as much info as I can.
I apologise if I came across as lazy but I'm just excited at the idea of doing this myself. I can put the 8gig in the machine no problem and it would be ecc memory.

I'm just trying to build something that could replace my iomgea ix200 drive. Only used for movies pictures and music.

Thanks Again

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I literally just joined the forum 20 minutes ago and am in the process of trying to read as much info as I can.
I apologise if I came across as lazy but I'm just excited at the idea of doing this myself. I can put the 8gig in the machine no problem and it would be ecc memory.

I'm just trying to build something that could replace my iomgea ix200 drive. Only used for movies pictures and music.

Thanks Again

Well, please read the stickies, as they answer the vast majority of questions people have, and are more carefully written than the average post, including detailed explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.