Newbie from Kent (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firegoat22

Cadet
hi all

just joined, i am going to be learning all about FreeNas as i have just bought and HP N54L and populated it with 6 WD Red 3TB drives. Modified Bios and using the eSATA port as well!

Going to be using RAIDZ2, as I am going to be using it Home to store my downloads, Photos etc. also maybe in the future sadnzb and FTP from remote.

I can't really back it up so am going for the most secure data storage I can go for, I have got the drives from different stores and 2 weeks apart so i should have different manufacturing batches, therefore this should reduce the chances of multiple drive failures at the same time!

The way I understand FreeNas I should back up my data to another source as well, not sure how I can do this, also I will not be able do this regularly.

I have used all the spare SATA connectors on my server, so would have to back up to either the cloud 5-6TB could take forever, and cost a small fortune in Hosting fees or a USB drive(s) this could take ages and require multiple drives.

I am going for a NAS with high storage as i now have 6 2TB USB drives, these are to be wiped and put on ebay to get some costs back.

Any suggestions or advice?

Dave

Z300M

Guru
hi all

just joined, i am going to be learning all about FreeNas as i have just bought and HP N54L and populated it with 6 WD Red 3TB drives. Modified Bios and using the eSATA port as well!

Going to be using RAIDZ2, as I am going to be using it Home to store my downloads, Photos etc. also maybe in the future sadnzb and FTP from remote.

I can't really back it up so am going for the most secure data storage I can go for, I have got the drives from different stores and 2 weeks apart so i should have different manufacturing batches, therefore this should reduce the chances of multiple drive failures at the same time!

The way I understand FreeNas I should back up my data to another source as well, not sure how I can do this, also I will not be able do this regularly.

I have used all the spare SATA connectors on my server, so would have to back up to either the cloud 5-6TB could take forever, and cost a small fortune in Hosting fees or a USB drive(s) this could take ages and require multiple drives.

I am going for a NAS with high storage as i now have 6 2TB USB drives, these are to be wiped and put on ebay to get some costs back.

Any suggestions or advice?

Dave
Originally from Surrey, close to Kent, now in USA.

Your USB drives are probably "regular" drives in USB-connected enclosures. E.g., when I hook my Seagate USB drives up to my NAS machine and run smartctl, I see the Model Numbers of the SATA drives inside the enclosures. You might be better off simply removing the drives from the enclosures and mounting them in the case of the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.