Hello from Cambridgeshire in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendama

Cadet
I am a 70 year old technology fan - fairly expert with Windows and MacOS - not so expert on Linux. Have built a Freenas server (11.1) using an intel 6700 and a Gigabyte Z270X I had lying around in my loft. Had to buy a NAS case to house 10 3TB drives, all so I could store the growing mass of files generated by my wife and I and to replace 3 separate small NAS cluttering up my study and which had filled up with data.

I like to game and have built a gaming PC complete with water cooling, overclocked and glowing with RGB - I'm just a big kid but help my local community sort out PC or Mac problems. I am also a fan of VR and have an Oculus Rift setup and you can find me in the 'Rift' most days.

Learned the basics of Freenas through research of the abundance of documentation to be found on the Freenas site and elsewhere. Also using my new freenas box as a Plex server. Very pleased with the whole set up.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

FYI, FreeNAS is built on FreeBSD (not Linux...).

Pendama

Cadet
Hello, yes, thanks, I did know that, but nonetheless I am still not proficient in Linux! I've tried various distros, most recently Mint 19 that I loaded into a VM on my main machine but to be honest I don't see much in the way of an advantage over Windows. I just play with Linux to try and learn about it but somehow I just can't get into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.