New VMWare infrastructure build, considering Supermicro storage server

nasy

Cadet
At my job, I've got a budget for about $40k for 2 new VMWare servers (identical for HA), and 2 storage arrays (one for shared storage, and the other DR (Veeam backups).

I really like Supermicro, and I have built Windows servers in the past with them. I was wondering, if someone could tell me if I'm on the right track with compatibility.
Supermicro has arrays that are "JBOD", but am I right in assuming that the card for that array would conflict with FreeNAS?
Would the "storage server" line be the way to go? I assume this is line is for whatever OS you would want to put on the server.
I'm looking at something like this, for example: https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-ssg-2029p-acr24h/p/N82E16822182109?Item=9SIA5EMBY17695
Please let me know what you think, thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A disk array that is "JBOD" simply means that there is no RAID controller. It is just a bunch of disks that are connected to an SAS expander and presented to a connector that allows you to attach them to your server. This is the sort of thing that plugs in just fine to an HBA for use with FreeNAS.

You probably do not want a Supermicro Storage Server since they typically use LSI RAID controllers, which are not particularly FreeNAS-compatible.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

nasy

Cadet
A disk array that is "JBOD" simply means that there is no RAID controller. It is just a bunch of disks that are connected to an SAS expander and presented to a connector that allows you to attach them to your server. This is the sort of thing that plugs in just fine to an HBA for use with FreeNAS.

You probably do not want a Supermicro Storage Server since they typically use LSI RAID controllers, which are not particularly FreeNAS-compatible.

ok thanks, I'll look out for the raid controller, I appreciate it.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I saw the "superstorage" line seems like that is the way to go...looks nice, much appreciated.
You're welcome!

Just take care to heed @jgreco's warning and make sure you get one with an HBA and not a RAID controller. RAID controllers are more expensive, and don't play nicely with FreeNAS.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Herr_Merlin

Patron

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
And is no help for europeans

Historically, I would agree. However iXsystems has now built a spares depot in Europe and are growing both the team and the business. Support is also now available with European business hours and there is a 24x365 option for enterprises. We would like to be considered, but understand we have to earn our business.

Herr_Merlin

Patron
I had put up with my business email a rfp. Nothing happened.
Well we went and bought something else.
Today I regret that we just didn't buy hardware and installed FreeNAS..