New to Home NAS systems - Want something for Cloud storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Hood

Cadet
I use a NAS device at work, but I did not set it up, nor have I ever had to set one up. I am looking into getting a custom system at home for storage and backup but unsure of certain things. I want to try out FreeNAS because of all the awesome things that I have heard, but what I am shooting for is to get me and my wife off of paid cloud storage (MS and Apple). I have read briefly that you can use OwnCloud for private, secure cloud storage. Is this plugin worth looking into for use with FreeNAS as well as Plex Media Server? I am not worried about getting to videos from my NAS, I am just wanting to have a storage platform that I can use for photo/video storage and backup with my mobile devices while we are away. Or I am open to other suggestions?!? I have looked at Synology NAS but I think FreeNAS with a custom system may be the way to go and a little cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I use a NAS device at work, but I did not set it up, nor have I ever had to set one up. I am looking into getting a custom system at home for storage and backup but unsure of certain things. I want to try out FreeNAS because of all the awesome things that I have heard, but what I am shooting for is to get me and my wife off of paid cloud storage (MS and Apple). I have read briefly that you can use OwnCloud for private, secure cloud storage. Is this plugin worth looking into for use with FreeNAS as well as Plex Media Server? I am not worried about getting to videos from my NAS, I am just wanting to have a storage platform that I can use for photo/video storage and backup with my mobile devices while we are away. Or I am open to other suggestions?!? I have looked at Synology NAS but I think FreeNAS with a custom system may be the way to go and a little cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

I think quite a few people use the owncloud plugin. Now is a great time to do research. Read the various stickies around the forums (especially the hardware ones). There is more of a learning curve to FreeNAS than to an off-the-shelf device.

Remember that if you have only one copy of your data (even if it's on enterprise-quality hardware), you have no backup. There have been people come to these forums who have lost or almost lost tons of personal / irreplaceable data. Sh*t happens. Plan for it.

Note that this will probably cost more money than your paid cloud storage.

David Hood

Cadet
Thanks. I knew it would be more expensive at least in the short run. I have been looking at building this thing and can't decide what kind of case/enclosure to get. I'll take a look around the forums and see what others have done.
And I just had a 1Tb external disk go out on me with all kinds of stuff on it. still makes me want to cry when I think of all the data I lost. It's going to be different next time around.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks. I knew it would be more expensive at least in the short run. I have been looking at building this thing and can't decide what kind of case/enclosure to get. I'll take a look around the forums and see what others have done.
And I just had a 1Tb external disk go out on me with all kinds of stuff on it. still makes me want to cry when I think of all the data I lost. It's going to be different next time around.

The following are good places to start when looking at hardware:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ll-a-proper-home-freenas-setup-cost-me.28936/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rces-hardware-recommendations-and-more.46868/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.17750/

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think the integration of Apple cloud storage and ms is much better than what you get with some open source solutions. It can work but your expectations should be a little different.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rogerh

Guru
It was always a little unclear what "cloud" means, but using the term for one's own on-site server makes it even less meaningful. If you keep your data on a home NAS you need a backup of it. And it is quite a good idea to have an offsite backup. This could either be at a friend/relatives house or one of the "cloud" services like the one you use.

OTOH, you shouldn't absolutely trust any third party service either. Something technical or financial could lead to the loss of the off-site backup, so you should have a reliable backup at home too.

So you need the NAS, a backup of it and preferably an off-site backup as well.

rogerh

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.