New to freenas, thinking of moving to new os help please!! Super slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmydog

Cadet
Hello all!

I want to start with a simple intro to my situation. Please forgive me if i sound like a whinny spoiled kid. U have to understand Coming from my Qnap ts 509 pro with read speeds of 110MBs and write speeds of 90+ MBs i was spoiled. I decided to sell it for 2 reasons. 1. Only 5 bays (700$) so it was not worth it to me. 2. I wanted to take control of my hardware, lets say i lost my PSU i would have been screwed due to the proprietary hardware of Qnap. That was something i was not comfortable with. Best of all i love tinkering around and figuring things out for myself. I have very little experience with any of the fancy tools that all the tuning guides refer to like ssh and these consoles that all the users speak of. Next i will explain my problem.

Right now i am getting 33 MBs sustained from my box. Just to get it out there my network is fine i get 100 MBs from all PCs to and from. IE i have all GB nics and my router is GB and i have a backbone on a netgear prosafe 16 port switch that is smart/managed. i plugged my LAGG from my Qnap cords into my freenas box so theoretically my network can not be the problem. I really want more then 30 MBs. Here is a rundown of my whole system.

oh and i am using CIFS/SAMBA. I just want my speeds back. I have a LAGG with my dual port intel pro 1000

CASE: ROSEWILL RSV-Z2000 case 9 hdd 2u server case
PSU:Coolmax CUQ 1350 WATT PSU
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
CPU: INTEL i7-920 2.4 GHZ QUAD CORE
RAM: 12 GB CROSSIAR DOMONATER 1600 DDR3 TRIPLE CHANNEL
NIC: INTEL PRO 1000/CT 2 PORT
HDD: 9X SEAGATE 5900 RPM GREENDRIVE SATA 3, 2TB
SATA CONTROLLER: 3 x SY-PEX40008 4 port sata 2 controller PCIE 1x

Ok so there it is, i am getting slow reads and writes and i have no idea why. I know there is like 500 threads on this but i can not for the life of me figure out how to modify the boot/config or tune anything. Please dont write me off as an idiot who dosent deserve help. I really want freenas to work but so far i am just having some second thoughts please help! thanks in advance if anyone can get me to at least 80 MBs reads i will send them hugs and kisses via USPS second day service. THANKS!

Bever

Explorer
Rule of thumb: 1GB of RAM per TB.

fmydog

Cadet
Rule of thumb: 1GB of RAM per TB.

I have been messing around with that as well. Throughout the day i have reconfigured with a couple tests. i read a couple articles and this is my current test. To make things easy i eliminated a lot from the equation but the problem still remains. Right now i have 4 2TB in a RAIDz with 5.3 TB usable. I read that ZFS in multiples of 2 disks at a time helps increase performance. so in theory that should help but it gives me a max of 29 MBs. I really dont understand. I also read that CIFS / SAMBA is a single threaded protocol that depends on CPU to transfer. I have my cpu in the rig at 2.8 GHz now and i see about 12% utilization i should see 25% seeing as how it is quad core. I am really stumped here guys. so with 12 GB ram 8TB volume should be easily doable........ with ubuntu installed using MDADM i get 97 MBs sustained. I really want ZFS though.... This really sucks! Were can i turn, I can except 80 MBs performance hit but maxing out at 30 MBs is just stupid.. Please help. up to this point i have tried aux parameters but none helped, i have large R/RW and AIO activated with none of it helping. I have tried seagate 5900 RPM drives and Samsung 5400 RPM drives, i also tried a set of 4 2TB WD black drives with no help. I had some 150GB velociraptor drives as well put them in a mirror and that also didn't help. I have don't internal testing i am convinced it is not the sata ports/controllers due to the fact with all other OS/s i get 90+ MBs.

fmydog

Cadet
JUST fyi, i have taken my CPU and SAMBA / out of the equation i followed some advice and tested my cpu as the downer in my speeds and i am overclocking it to 3.4 GHz and a base clock PCI e bus @ 174 MHz. now when transferring over CIFS my smbd process is at 7 % so that's down from 12% i was seeing. I am going to change it back to 2.4 GHz its creating quite about of heat and its summer time. Any other suggestions would be nice. The only things left to do are tune freenas but i have been unsuccesful. Every time i try to follow a guide i get lost. :(

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just to clarify, you are getting 33MB/s or 33Mbps? 33MB/s isn't terrible, that's 1/4 max speed of Gigbait, though I bet with more ram, and some tweaking you'll get it higher. You also want to do some local benchmarks with dd to see if it is network speed or disk speed that is limiting you.

ProtoSD

MVP
I know you're not alone and I think you should definitely be able to get A LOT better performance than you're getting, even though you could use a little more RAM.

I think this support ticket (https://support.freenas.org/ticket/1531) is onto something and it probably wouldn't hurt to add a "++" to it. I think if all the people experiencing this issue could add or open a ticket, it might shine some more light on the problem. I'm sure some tuning would help, the Autotuner is far from perfect, it just touches on a few basic settings. I don't think AIO makes any difference at all, it seems worthless in my opinion.

If you can take a little time and figure out how to add and some of these settings below using the GUI, I think it might help. You'll need to reboot for them to take effect. If you give these a try, post back and let us know if it helped.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Tunables

Code:
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf = 67108864
kern.ipc.somaxconn = 16384
net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable = 0
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto = 1
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_inc = 524288
net.inet.tcp.recvspace	= 131072
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 = 1		
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto = 1		
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc = 65536		
net.inet.tcp.sendspace = 131072		
net.inet.udp.recvspace = 65536		
net.inet.udp.maxdgram = 57344		
net.local.stream.recvspace = 65536		
net.local.stream.sendspace = 65536
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max = 16777216		
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max = 16777216

Then there are the CIFS Auxiliary parameters:

Code:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = yes
max xmit = 131072
write cache size = 131072

fmydog

Cadet
Thanks! Now getting 77MBs so 150% higher. I wish I could hug you.

I know you're not alone and I think you should definitely be able to get A LOT better performance than you're getting, even though you could use a little more RAM.

I think this support ticket (https://support.freenas.org/ticket/1531) is onto something and it probably wouldn't hurt to add a "++" to it. I think if all the people experiencing this issue could add or open a ticket, it might shine some more light on the problem. I'm sure some tuning would help, the Autotuner is far from perfect, it just touches on a few basic settings. I don't think AIO makes any difference at all, it seems worthless in my opinion.

If you can take a little time and figure out how to add and some of these settings below using the GUI, I think it might help. You'll need to reboot for them to take effect. If you give these a try, post back and let us know if it helped.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Tunables

Code:
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf = 67108864
kern.ipc.somaxconn = 16384
net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable = 0
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto = 1
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_inc = 524288
net.inet.tcp.recvspace	= 131072
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 = 1		
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto = 1		
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc = 65536		
net.inet.tcp.sendspace = 131072		
net.inet.udp.recvspace = 65536		
net.inet.udp.maxdgram = 57344		
net.local.stream.recvspace = 65536		
net.local.stream.sendspace = 65536
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max = 16777216		
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max = 16777216

Then there are the CIFS Auxiliary parameters:

Code:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = yes
max xmit = 131072
write cache size = 131072

fmydog

Cadet
New update

I'm not sure if my whimmpy thread is helping anyone but me but that's irrelevant because now that I am with Freemasonry for the long haul I noticed another problem that equaled terrible transfer speeds. My Intel pro 1000 dual port nic was running supper hit and it cause my transfers to come back down to a crawl so i installed a little 40mm Chooser fan onto the heat sink and blammo no more problem. So i hope everyone out there is opening up there cases andhappy nassing touching there nice :p. Oh btw picked up the fan (ultra mini maze.) For 3 bucks free shipping on amazon.

andyl

Explorer

Hi,

I tried these settings on my FreeNAS box too.
Mine's a HP Microserve N40L with 8Gb of RAM and 3x1.5Tb + 1x2Tb disks.

I did see a performance increase, although not as great as that seen by the OP. Some quick testing shows;
Before tunables applied a ~10Gb copy job drove the NIC on the client PC to ~45% on read, and about ~44% on write.
After tunables applied the same job from the same PC drove the NIC to ~47% on read and ~55% on write.
Both client and FreeNAS connect to the same gig switch at 1000FD. The client is a quad core running Win7 with 8Gb of RAM. Copies were executed over a CIFS share.

The significant difference to me was that the "ZFS breathing" phenomenon was eliminated. The write job executed after the tunables were set and the FreeNAS box rebooted sat pretty statically at ~55% network utilisation. This is a major improvement. This FreeNAS box would jam up if I tried to execute a significant (~5-10Gb) write - any other access (usually my partner watching a movie in another room) would be interrupted whilst the data was written to disk. With the tunables in place the FreeNAS box seems to write out as it goes.

Thanks very much - I will continue to monitor and post what I see!

tanik1

Contributor
Hello, I was trying the tunable setting from ProtoSD post.

I've installed this release FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)
on an AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630
with 3823MB Memory (4gb)

I know I need more memory. but I see that some people did this without more memory. I wanted to see how everyone that did it with 4gb of memory to get the share to be able to transfer at a decent speed.

I followed ProtoSD post and I get great speed at the beginning and then it slows down to like really slow.

80mb/s to 5mb/s

I would be happy if it stayed around 50mb/s.

and fmydog how much memory did you have?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why not just go to the applicable threads and see what they did.. assuming they fixed it(hint: Many did by buying more RAM).

tanik1

Contributor
Why not just go to the applicable threads and see what they did.. assuming they fixed it(hint: Many did by buying more RAM).

Yes those post ends and no one seems to be active on it. And I know some people did end up buying more RAM. I just don't really want to spend any more money right now. And I have found a solution for myself. I posted on my original speed thread my solution.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.