New to FreeNAS and Forum. Wondering if this is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently interested in investing in the FreeNAS Mini as a server for my home use. The three main things I want to do with this is to have it as a BitTorrent Sync server with several computers and mobile devices hooked into it, as a replacement need for DropBox/Google Drive etc.

The second thing I'd like for it to be doing is have it as a Plex Server for my Roku and AppleTV(via Airplay and the Plex app).

The third thing I'd like for it to do is be a Transmission server so I can download non-copywritten media into the same media folder for the Plex server to pick up and be able to stream.

I know setting up a VPN for it is a bit involved, but I'm up to the challenge, but could the FreeNAS Mini handle all this with little to no problems?

Not sure where else to ask this, as I don't want to muck up the Help forum. Figured the "Introduce yourself" forum would be a good place to see if this was possible. Thanks.

bestboy

Contributor
FreeNAS does meet all your requirements

to have it as a BitTorrent Sync server with several computers and mobile devices hooked into it, as a replacement need for DropBox/Google Drive etc.
This can be done with OwnCloud. I have no experience with OwnCloud myself, but there is a comprehensive tutorial about how to set it up: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...talling-owncloud-in-freenas-or-freebsd.19605/

The second thing I'd like for it to be doing is have it as a Plex Server for my Roku and AppleTV(via Airplay and the Plex app).
I've set up a Plex server following this tutorial and it works flawlessly: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-how-to-install-plex-in-a-jail.19412/
(Note: there is also an even simpler method by just using the Plex plugin from the Web GUI. I had some issues with that, so I can only recommend the DIY jail version)

The third thing I'd like for it to do is be a Transmission server so I can download non-copywritten media into the same media folder for the Plex server to pick up and be able to stream.
I've no experience with transmission, but FreeNAS comes with a plugin for that. It's probably set up with a few clicks in the Web UI.

I know setting up a VPN for it is a bit involved, but I'm up to the challenge
It's actually pretty easy. Just follow this tutorial for an OpenVPN setup: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-6-with-access-to-remote-hosts-via-nat.22873/

mjws00

Guru
Sure. The mini should handle that easily. As long as you don't go nuts with transcoding to many users. It's a really slick little package.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I only plan on using the Plex like I am now, just to my big TV and that's it. Right now, I have an old Mac Mini that's running a plex server, BitTorrent Sync to an old external 1TB drive and Transmission running on it. It's busting at the seams now (as I say, it's old and only 4Gigs of RAM), so this coming February it's "upgrade" time and the FreeNAS Mini looks nice, though pricy.

I'm looking, after the initial set-up, to have it be relatively simple to use and maintain and "just work".

Status
Not open for further replies.