I'm new here, and this is my 1st FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiddenHand

Dabbler
Hello Guys and Gals,

I'm pretty new to NAS, new as in I just purchased about 1/2 the parts needed for my setup. I've built PC's before but this will be my 1st non-windows, non-android machine. I'm pretty excited about this build and I am certain a handful of my goals are do-able and the other portion is still an unknown to me. My random snooping around here leads me to believe some of you smart guys can tell me if I can or can't accomplish my goals.

Goals:
  • Plex Media Server
    • Movies and TV to 3 different Android devices
    • Android to Chromecast on my private WAN and out of network
    • for use on friends Roku
    • Use as a DVR for Cable/Uverse TV in the future
  • Audio File Server
    • auto collection of meta data for new audio files
    • Stream albums and playlists to android device
    • store and stream Audible audio books to android
  • BitTorrent Server
    • Search for and download torrents from inside or outside of my LAN/WAN
    • Update PMS volumes and Audio File volumes with new content from download
  • Photos, MS Office, personal videos
    • Use as a personal Dropbox to save and organize misc. files created on win 7, win 8, and android machines
  • Email/Webmail Server
    • host 5 email address that I can access with pop 3 clients like outlook and aquamail
    • not a must but I would like to have a custom domain for the "@custom.com" portion
I fully expect some of my goals will have to be amended i look forward to any and all feedback.

Parts list Highlights:
  • CPU - Intel Celeron G1610
  • MB - ASUS H61M-A
  • HDDs - WD 3TB Red x2 (6TB total)
  • RAM - Micron 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC x2 (8GB total)
  • Generic Flashcard reader
  • Power Supply - 400w
I intend to boot from a flashcard, any hardware redflags pop out at anyone?
I am aware that the HDD's are 6gb/sec but board only supports 3gb/sec. Is this an issue?

So after my wall of text... It's good to be here!

-HiddenHand

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That motherboard does not support ECC. If you want to use ECC RAM you must buy a motherboard with a server chipset.

Also using flashcards and not a true USB stick is asking for problems.

HiddenHand

Dabbler
OK CJ, after reading some of your posts and replies I changed my order significantly. I was really trying to do this as cheaply as possible but I count the extra expense worth the headache of not having to do this twice.

Here's my final parts list:

Supermicro CSE-732i-500B case and power supply
WD 3TB Red NAS HDD X 2 hard drives
Kingston 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered Server
Supermicro MDB-X9CM-IIF micro ATX Server Board
Intel Celeron G1620 CPU

I just couldn't see much value in a G2020 over the G1620. Please tell me if I'm missing something but it looks like the difference is 200mhz and a 2MB L3 cache vs 3MB in the G2020.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G2020-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1620

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/15...e_G1620_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G2020.html

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's it, but we've always recommended the G2020 at the low end. No clue what the real world performance difference would be, but I'd probably just spend the $20 and go with the G2020. Celerons have typically been disappointing for desktops/laptops so i'm not sure if you'll be disappointed with it or not.

Alternatively, you can go with an X10 board(current gen) and G3220(roughly equivalent to the G2020 but about 25% faster). The cost is only like $20 more for each.

You can also go with the X9SCM-F board(that's what I have) and save $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.