New server mb/cpu question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanotica

Cadet
I picked up a chenbro chassis because it seems like something that will last me a long time, especially given some rave reviews I've seen on here. It's been awhile since I've worked with server hardware, so I want to get suggestions for a mainboard and a processor.
The mainboard I'm leaning towards are X9SRL or an X9DRI-LN4F for the option to use smaller ram sizes but more of them to potentially go farther for less. Having not done this in awhile, I also really can't recall if the io plate is standardized or if the case can only take particular subsets of mainboards.

As for the processor, I'm looking at an E5, but the particulars of the processor changes within versions is a little beyond me as I get things together, so thought I'd ask the experts. Before anyone suggests it, I try to avoid mATX simply because it's difficult for me to physically work with it given it's size, and the upper limits on ram seem to hover around 32-64gb and it feels limiting given my goal of a long operational life for this box.

My uses are media server, one maybe two vm's, probably a jail or two doing various things like, trans-coding on the fly to two maybe 3 systems, file server, backup unit for a couple of desktops et al, and *ahem* a uh..downloading engine.
My view is I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, if that factors into processor/mb suggestions.

joeinaz

Contributor
I have the X9SRL-F and am very happy with this board. The max memory capacity (512MB on the X9SRL) is not likely to be a limiting factor. It uses v1 and v2 E5-2600 series which are relatively inexpensive compared to newer Intel CPUs. It also use inexpensive DDR3 ECC RDIMMs. The dual CPU board may be a good choice as if the CPU becomes a bottleneck, you could add a second CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.