Replacing my server: used industry server vs. new AMD system

tobo

Dabbler
Hi,

my servers mainboard is dying.

Until now I was using an Intel Xeon E3-1220Lv2 with 16GB ECC RAM and 6 x 3TB WD RED on an m1015 controller. Over the years I was considering to replace the CPU with a more powerful one and push the RAM to 32GB, but never felt immediate pressure to do so.

The server is used mainly as a file storage with some emby use now and then, and for Time Machine backups. It's idling most of the time (home use). Anyway I am using it on a regular basis, so I need to replace it quickly, while I'm prioritizing other spending at the moment. I am going to keep the m1015 controller and the disks.

Now there are two options:
180 € for a used Fujitsu RX300 S7 Server with1x E5-2620 6-Core 2.00 GHz, 32GB ECC RAM and 6x 3,5" bays, redundant power supply.
300 € for an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (90€ ), 32GB ECC (180€), Mainboard (suggestions?, maybe 100€), discrete graphics (30€), using the existing case etc.

Things I am considering:
- I am running a separate VM server which is quite well equipped, so even on a more powerful machine I might not immediately put VMs on.
- The server is in the same room where my wife has her hobby stuff, so noise might be an issue
- my previous server was rock solid for years, this shouldn't change
- power consumption (I don't care about differences less than 50€/yr)
- I would be happy about a better performance (big directories, time machine)
- Is AMD really proven for FreeNAS nowadays?

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.