New NAS build. Anyone else have trouble matching ECC RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqartimus

Explorer
Hi all! This is my first post on these forums ... I have been lurking and reading all the posts I can find about FreeNAS and configurations ... Even watched the awesome slideshow from Cyberjock (ty) ... :)

BTW, I was a computer programmer for 30 years ... though I have been out of the field for 15+ years now. So I have a technical lean, though I am mostly clueless (but at least I know it!)

I am setting up a personal/home/small business solution. Something I probably should have done years ago! The main event here is of course NAS. After that, I will "play" with other bells-and-whistles that come from have NAS and Dedicated Server. (Media Streaming, Cloud, Music, etc.)

My biggest issues trying to put systems together has been about finding Motherboards that support ECC and that list 8mb SIMMs that are compatible. It has been a chore. My strategy has been to find a Server Motherboard that has Socket 1150 -- then check the company website for compatible ECC 8meg memory modules ... and see if I can find them for purchase.

This has proven rather tedious and difficult to say the least. Unless I am totally missing something, most of the compatible modules for sale are of the 4mb variety, which means that I would be unable to get 32mb of RAM on the motherboard. Perhaps the 8mb ECC memory that works is not listed ... perhaps people generally just use the clock speed and high quality companies .. dunno.. but I have scratched several mobos because I was unable to find listed EEC 8mb modules to buy.

Well, enough with that ... here is what I have settled on ... I would love your thoughts and insights about my selections:

1) ASRock Rack C226 WS
2) Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3
3) Kingston KVR13E9/8I DDR3-1333 8GB/1Gx72 ECC CL9 Server Memory x 4

4) Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB x 6
5) Rosewill CAPSTONE Series ATX 750W
6) SanDisk Cruzer 8GB

I have a Lian Li V2100 Server Case that I plan to install this all into. It is huge, but being old, it has less ventilation than all new high-end cases. But I am hoping that some large/slow fans will work sufficiently.

I plan to put all 6 drives into a RAIDZ2 configuration.

Following that, I will get more educated (and bounce some things off the forum) regarding snapshots, scrub cycles and SMART email messaging. That is the next hurdle if I have my hardware right.

So, am I on the right track here? See anything you would do differently?

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.

David

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you really can't stick to the recommended memory, the next best thing is to try known-good stuff. Try looking around for that specific motherboard.
If all else fails, buy memory from a reputable seller that'll take it back, should the need arise. For instance, Crucial sells their stuff directly and they claim to guarantee compatibility, if you use their tool.

You can also start off with 16GB, then expand if the need arises. The sweet spot for most is 16GB.

As for the rest of the system, that PSU is overkill - something smaller would be better. For instance, a Seasonic G-450 would allow you to run up to ~13 disks with no issues. Count on 30W per disk at spin up, plus some 60W for the rest of the system.

eqartimus

Explorer
Updated my PSU to:

Seasonic SSR-550RM 550W 80 PLUS Gold ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply

Was going to use the 450 you recommended, but for 8$ more ... what the heck.

eqartimus

Explorer
Can someone recommend a power backup unit that would size well with this and have the requisite communications capability I need to have my NAS talk to it properly.

Thanks again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can someone recommend a power backup unit that would size well with this and have the requisite communications capability I need to have my NAS talk to it properly.

Thanks again.

I'm using an APC Back-UPS Pro 900VA, which is nominally supported. Haven't actually tested it yet, though (not at home right now), but I believe several others have.

eqartimus

Explorer
I did look at that supermicro mother board .. it was my first choice. But I couldn't find ECC ram based on the web site's tested list. So, I'm stuck with the current selection... it arrived a hour ago, and I am beginning the prep-build process.

eqartimus

Explorer
Oh well, too late now.

Status
Not open for further replies.