New IronWolfs High Fly Writes high, RMA?

Sasquatch

Explorer
I bought 3x 3TB IronWolf.
After burn in all 3 HDDs report High Fly Writes from 27 to 41, after merely 62 hours and one badblocks run.
For comparison my old HDDs report High Fly Writes of 19 after 33200h(nearly 4 years).
My retailer refuses to replace them, is there a chance with Seagate?
Any experience with them?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How do you have these drives mounted during testing? Usually, drives that are mounded securely will not have such an abrupt change in that value.
I am not sure why some drives report a high number of "High Fly Writes", but I have not found it to be an indication that the drive is about to fail. Getting a replacement drive might not make a difference in the number of High Fly Writes that are reported.
I have a range of High Fly Writes in the drives in my server from as few as zero up to 24 and none of the other numbers indicate a problem. The ting I have observed at work, with the servers we have mounted in mobile platforms, is that the number of High Fly Writes increases significantly when the drive is moved. That is why I asked how you have these new drives mounted.

Sasquatch

Explorer
All 3 drives are mounted in hot swap bays, in case sitting on the floor. Only movement would be caused by drive own vibration.
I run badblocks again this morning(6 hours ago), numbers went up.
27->34
31->43
41->51
According to Seagate tech support it is normal to have some high flyers, but if they keep going up and reach 150+ in first month they will replace them as dead on arrival.
They asked me to run SeaTools under windows to recalibrate platters, sounds like a load of bu**it to me, but will try.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Explorer
Update after 3.5 years.
30 months in, aprox 20000 hours first of the trio failed, kinda:
started throwing bad sectors warnings that would clear with no trace in smart log after a badblocks run or even long self test.
RMA'd and got replacement within a week.
this one at 11362 hours has 0 high fly writes.

Last sunday(40 months, 3 past warranty) another one failed. At 30456 hours 548 high flying writes in the log.
As I was planing replacement for 4TB by end of this year anyway, ordered set of 3 from 3 different retailer this time.
and guess what....
Third drive failed during resilvering, luckily they are in 6 wide Z2 pool(3x3TB + 3x4TB)
All 3 had 400+ high flying writes, all 3 failed prematurely.
I'm pretty sure that if one of the three did't fail earlier it would fail now too.

The other 3 drives in the pool are 4TB and at ~25000 hours have 0 high fly writes.

As an afterthought I should have tortured them with badblocks until they reach 150+ high writes and replace them.

Last edited: