New installation, PC sat on bios screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyi

Dabbler
Hi.

I have installed onto a 16gog USB stick, install appears to go well, tells me to remove install media and reboot which I do.

The bios screen comes up (A gigabyte motherboard of some kind)

And thats it.

If I remove the USB stick and restart it will get past the Bios screen.

I have tried two different memory sticks on both bios and uefi and in all cases the same outcome.

Any ideas how I can proceed, I really would like to get it going?

garyi

Dabbler
Yeah I concluded its probably just a crappy motherboard so installed on SSd.

That works but I have now plugged my other HDs back in, and it wont boot saying algorithm 86 not supported on grub??

Sigh I have been messing around with this all afternoon, and people complain about windows!

Ont sure what is going on there but there has been some issues with the board BIOS being funky on some gigabyte and supermicro boards with some of the latest versions of FreeNAS. Not sure what is going on lately but somewhere between the bios being of dubious quality and some sort of change in the boot loader a lot of people are having issues. I think there has been two postings with gigabyte boards and one with a couple people having the same issue with USB boot and supermicro boards. The one thing that is probably the same is AMI bios. One of the reasons why windows doesn't seem to have this issue right now is most people don't try and run a windows installation from a USB drive.

Inxsible

Guru
If you have an updated BIOS available for that board, it might be worth it to upgrade and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.