SOLVED 9.10 boot (after grub) problem - black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cake maker

Dabbler
Hi all.

I'm new to FreeNAS, and have so far done according to everything I've read in ordering and setting up parts for operation. I used two USB sticks, both 16gb, to first put the ISO on one, then install to the other. Everything went well. After installation is finished, and I restart, GRUB loads, and I select FreeNAS 9.10, but then the screen goes black, and if I leave it on for hours, I don't get the loaded screen with the IP address of the server and other things.

Could this be a USB issue? Perhaps I need to get another kind of USB? I've got the Kingston Data traveler 16gb.

Motherboard: Gigabyte x150m-pro-ecc
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v5 1151
Ram: 2x 8GB ECC 2133 DDR4
HD's: 4x 3TB Red WD drives (enterprise)

Not sure if other hardware is relevant, but would anyone have any ideas as to why there's only a black screen?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you using 9.10.1 (and not 9.10.1-U1 or -U2)? If so, there's your problem. Reinstall using 9.10.1-U2.

cake maker

Dabbler
Are you using 9.10.1 (and not 9.10.1-U1 or -U2)? If so, there's your problem. Reinstall using 9.10.1-U2.

Thanks Eric (edit: that is exactly what I did). I will try that next, I tried some older releases, but had problems even getting to the installer.
edit2: What's the problems with the 9.10?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's the problems with the 9.10?
The terminal selection logic was changed to fix some people's systems not booting because they were incompatible with the newer terminal.
Unfortunately, UEFI systems ended up using the old one with this change, even though it doesn't work in UEFI mode.

This was fixed in 9.10.1-U1, but requires a new install or a manual regeneration of the GRUB config.

cake maker

Dabbler
The terminal selection logic was changed to fix some people's systems not booting because they were incompatible with the newer terminal.
Unfortunately, UEFI systems ended up using the old one with this change, even though it doesn't work in UEFI mode.

This was fixed in 9.10.1-U1, but requires a new install or a manual regeneration of the GRUB config.

Thanks Ericloewe! The server is running now. =) I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.