SOLVED New install fails - "Trying to mount root"

davidpsplace

Dabbler
Just received this box yesterday. My first rodeo with enterprise stuff. I hope this is the right location for this post. I thought about the New Install/Upgrade thread.
I think I have my system information in the signature block from my profile page. I'll add it below just in case. I apologize if it is duplicated.

I have attached a photo of the place where the system stopped. I was doing an install of the latest FreeNAS from a USB 3.0 Thumb drive. It started with the FreeNAS splash screen and ran to the point shown in the photo. From the line in the photo: "Trying to mount root from \T>:Mi3>c:*(e [L#13`N,h]..." it looks to me like it's trying to mount the drive in bay 13, [L#13`N,h], but I'm not sure. That is the drive that I would want the FreeNAS to install on. This system came with Win Server 2016 installed on drives 12 and 13. I didn't reformat them before starting this process.

What else can I add to help if this isn't already obvious to someone.

Thanks in advance,

Dell PowerEdge R720xd
MOBO: Dell 0020HJ
2 x Intel Xeon CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70 GH
64 GB RAM (4 x 16384MB) @ 1333
6 (4 TB) Seagate SAS ST4000NM0023
2 (300 GB) Dell HUC106030CSS600
Dell PERC H310 Mini IT mode

FreeNAS Install Hangs.jpg

D

dlavigne

To clarify: this message is when booting into the installer? Or after the install, on first boot?

davidpsplace

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply. It is during the install. It has not gotten to the gui for the console setup menu.

davidpsplace

Dabbler
I found out that the FreeNAS-11.2-U6 will not download correctly without "Failed - Network error" after multiple tries. It loads the full 587 MB then shows the error message. I didn't notice this when I burned it to the USB drive.
I downloaded the FreeNAS-11.1-U7.iso and checked the SHA256 (i'm evolving). It was good. I booted it and targeted my 300 GB drives in bays 12 and 13. All of that looked good. I am now trying to figure out how to select bay 12 or 13 selected for boot. In the "BIOS Boot Settings" I only get a choice of "Integrated RAID Controller 1:#200 ID10 LUN0 SEAGATE ST4000NM0023". So close to joy I can taste it. Any ideas?

davidpsplace

Dabbler
To clarify: this message is when booting into the installer? Or after the install, on first boot?
Just getting used to the Forum. I guess I need to reply to specific messages instead of posting a reply to my own message. Please take a look at my last message. Resolved one issue. Having another one. Easier I hope.

D

dlavigne

Don't install onto a 300GB drive as you will lose all of its storage capacity. Install to a USB stick, SSD, or small capacity drive.

davidpsplace

Dabbler
Don't install onto a 300GB drive as you will lose all of its storage capacity. Install to a USB stick, SSD, or small capacity drive.
I was looking for a smaller set of drives to boot on but these were cheap so I went with them. I don't plan to use them for anything else.
The problem I am having now is that when I select "Install/Upgrade" in the "FreeNAS 11.1-U7 Console Setup" the next screen "Choose destination media" shows "No drives available".
I'm attempting this since I couldn't find a way to set the boot drive correctly as I described above. Kind of lost here.