BUILD New Hardware Build Review/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmflint

Dabbler
I want to build a basic home FreeNAS server with the option to upgrade later with a better CPU and the ability to expand the RAM and HDDs if needed. Based on other forum suggestions, I have settled on a motherboard for the base build but have decided to start on the low end for the CPU with the option of upgrading to the Pentium E3-1200 series if and when needed.

Here is what I am planning so far:

motherboard> Supermicro MBD-X9SCM--IIF

CPU> Pentium G2130 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz (similar to the G2020 but a bit faster?)

Question 1>

My biggest question, if my motherboard and cpu choices are correct, is what is the recommended amount of ECC RAM to start with and a specific make/model? I am initially intending to achieve 4TB of usable storage.

Question 2>

What is the better choice for stability between the ECC DDR-1333 and 1600 RAM (types supported for this G2130 and potential upgrade CPU, E3-1230 V2)?

I have read in other posts that a good rule of thumb is a minimum of 1mb RAM/TB HDD space. I hope someone with a similar hardware setup can provide suggestions based on their experience. The tested RAM for 4 and 8mb sticks listed on the SuperMicro site is fairly limited and hard to find matching part numbers online.

Question 3>

Instead of adding a drive just for the OS, is it better to go with a removable USB solid state drive? If so, what is a reliable brand and size?

I will probably be adding addition software (jailed) besides FreeNAS to the server so a recommend OS/software drive compacitiy would helpful.

Question 4>

I will probably never add more than 6 HDDs to this setup and was considering a 400-500 watt ATX power supply. Is this sufficient or overkill? Any recommend brand?

KMR

Contributor
Q1: Your motherboard selection looks good. Lots of room for expansion later if you need it. For 4TB of usable space 8GB of ECC RAM should be fine for home use. If you intend on doing any intensive stuff look at 16GB. RAM prices have gone up like crazy due to a fire in asia recently so try 8GB and if you need more later hopefully the price will have dropped back down.
Your CPU selection looks good. I ran the G2020 for a while and it works very well, although if you plan to do things like pool encryption or a lot of jailing you may want to think about an upgrade later on. I would go with the G2130 and see how it works for you.
Q2: I don't think there is any difference in stability between 1333 and 1600 RAM. The 1600 is just a higher clock speed. Its not something you are likely to notice in a home application. I believe the recommended RAM amounts are 6GB for the OS and +1GB per TB of space - so in your application 10GB would be recommended but you can probably get away with 8GB. Maybe a more experienced member would like to chime in (Cyberjock!) on this point as I have never tried it.
Q3: Use a USB stick. It is easy and cheap. You can have multiple sticks in case something goes wrong during an upgrade which adds a level of safety and saves you some headache.
Q4: Never say never. Building this sort of device is like a magical drug but it only hurts your wallet and maybe your marriage if you aren't good at making up random flimsy pretexts to buy more computer parts to feed the addiction; start working on this. A 360W or 420W should be plenty and offer you room past 6 drives if you chose to add more. I prefer Seasonic PSUs - they are a well known and trusted brand. Get an 80+ gold model as this will be a 24/7 machine so power consumption will be a factor; I've heard varying reports on whether or not the 80+ platinum models will be worth the extra money.

Other comments: You didn't mention a UPS. GET A UPS. Search the forms for threads about what can happen to your pool after a power outage during a write, as well as other dire warnings.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I agree with what KMR said, especially the UPS comment.

CPU is fine as long as you don't want encryption or Plex transcoding. If you do, go with a xeon e3-1220v2.

For RAM, 8GB will probably be fine. I'd probably just buy a 2x8GB kit because it's cheaper than individual sticks. 16GB will ensure you have good performance while 8GB might be iffy. If you plan to add more drives later you will certainly need more than 8GB of RAM later.

rmflint

Dabbler
I have a spare UPS a friend gave me but I haven't tested it yet. However, any recommendations on the size of the UPS for my setup? I've only had APCs, are there better brands to recommend?

Based on everyones experience, are there any preferred RAM manufacturers? I'm a software designer and fairly inexperienced in building PCs. Kingston seems to be a bit cheaper than Supermicro's Samsung and Hynix tested RAM. I assume any particular manufacture's compatibility charts are trusted, is that the safest way to get the correct RAM?

What is a good brand of USB sticks? I have never used one as a boot drive and want to get a reliable one. Also, what's a preferred size for the OS with enough wiggle room for any addition packages I might want to run (not sure what I might decide to add to the server down the road)?

Cheers!

KMR

Contributor
I'm not sure about the USB stick brands.. I've had a bunch over the years and it seems to be pretty hit or miss; I've had cheap one's last forever and expensive ones die after a few months.
APC makes good stuff; the one I use is overkill for your setup. Make sure you get something with USB so it can communicate with your server. An APC BR1000G will be more than enough and has all the features you are likely to need.
I have had good success with Kingston RAM in my build - but I haven't tested any of the other brands for ECC stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.