Hardware Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmerej

Cadet
I have read the posts throughout hardware about different specifications on what to buy to build a server and these are the parts that I chose:

4 gb flash drive
HD: 4x4 tb WD Red
RAM: 32 gb Kingston KVR16E11K4/32
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SAE
CPU: Intel Core i3-4330
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: ???

The reason I decided to get this case and motherboard is because it offers the ability to install more HDs if needed.

Questions:
What would be a good PSU for this and possibly for adding 3 or 4 more 4 TB HDs?
Do I need to purchase additional case fans?

LowDead

Cadet
I'm also interested in this as I'm about to build something similar. What confuses me is the information(or lack of) about Revision M on Supermicros homepage. Will it fit standard ATX chassis without any modification to the chassis? I have a Fractal Design Define R3.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't go wrong with Seasonic PSUs. For four drives, the G-360 should be enough. Up to 10 drives I'd use a G-450.

The limiting factor is spin-up current. An estimate for 5400RPM drives (based off the WD Red spec sheet) is 2A on the 12V rail. That means 24W. I add 6W to factor in 5V power usage (shouldn't be too large) and give a nice margin. That means 30W capacity per drive, plus a bit more for the rest of your hardware (100W will most definitely cover that, 50W will almost certainly cover it too). Don't just buy the largest PSU you see, as efficiency is best around 50% load.

As for fans, ideally you'll want some fans blowing directly over your drives (one good 120mm fan per 4 fans is typically ok for most chassis) and at least one exhaust fan close to the CPU.

Also note: Kingston memory may be problematic with Supermicro X10 motherboards when you use four DIMMs, so you may want to consider going with Crucial or Samsung. Make sure the modules are listed as compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.