New FreeNAS setup - Just a few directional questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_Z71

Cadet
Hi folks,

So I've picked up a HP Microserver N54l and FreeNAS is up and running. 8TB of storage, 8GB of ram. My only goal is to make sure I have good copies of all the family photos on it. My wife and I had triplets about 19 months ago now.

Anyway I have a samba share for general file storage/sharing setup and another to backup family PC's (Win10) and cell phone pictures (android). Once I work through that I'll either setup another N54l at another site and replicate the data off site for safe keeping or pay for some offsite backup space.

Nothing fancy right? Anyway I've got a few shares setup and I can map them on the windows machines just fine.

So my real question then is what tools should I use to backup the laptops? What tools should I use for the cell phones? I've poked around at SyncToy and Syncthing but honestly those don't really function like I'd expect for a backup tool. A sync folder is great and all but I'm not looking for home drop box solution exactly though it may work well for the cell phones. Again my goal is to secure family photos more than anything else so.

Anyway I'm just looking for opinions/recommendations/options on what others are doing. Of note my back ground is that of a System Admin.

thanks and I appreciate any input!

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums.

I have been using Veeam Agent for MSWindows for the last year or so based on recommendations of others here. Easy to set up, easy to see what it's done, easy to restore from on bulk or individual file basis (only had to do so for test purposes).

Rob_Z71

Cadet
Hey thanks! I've seen Veeam around before but mostly related to VMware. Didn't realize they had a standalone solution for endpoints and that it was free! Off I go to test it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.