Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Dead link, maybe someone beat me to it?

Never mind, got it another way.

Is that a viable back-plane?
No, looks like it is a SAS1 backplane, so it would only support 2TB and smaller. Sorry. If it was direct attached or SAS2 it would be great.

LIGISTX

Guru
No, looks like it is a SAS1 backplane, so it would only support 2TB and smaller. Sorry. If it was direct attached or SAS2 it would be great.

Even then though, I could rip the backplane apart and just plug my drives in ghetto style, maybe?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ugh not the TQ backplanes. The ones that use SFF-8087 are fine, but the TQs are a cable management disaster.

LIGISTX

Guru
I think I will be making the jump into freenas here pretty soon. But I am wondering if there is any practical use for a couple of SSD's. I have two Samsung 840 Evo 120 gigs just sitting on my desk. I'm planning on getting one of those 169 dollar HP servers with 6x6 TB drives in Z2, with either 12 or 20 GB of ram, slightly unsure if 12 will be enough, but I guess I can always try and get another 8 GB if needed.

With that, would there be any practical reason to throw the SSD's in? I would likely do whatever ZFS's version of RAID1 would be, but from what I remember isn't the key almost always more RAM if performance is slow? I'm not debating that, I'm just saying I already have the SSD's, might as well use them if possible.

Also, if I understand correctly, the included power supply is only 300 watts, is that correct? That would be to close for comfort for 6x7,200 drives if my math is correct.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Would make a perfect boot drive.

Yes, 300W seems a bit weak.

LIGISTX

Guru
Does anyone have anything against HG0S04007 HGST Deskstars 6 TB 7200 Drives? There is a pretty sick deal going on at the moment.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Does anyone have anything against HG0S04007 HGST Deskstars 6 TB 7200 Drives? There is a pretty sick deal going on at the moment.
I think you have another thread going about this? The only problem might be the heat they put out. Be sure you have plenty of airflow.

LIGISTX

Guru
I think you have another thread going about this? The only problem might be the heat they put out. Be sure you have plenty of airflow.
Yea I'm in a few, consolidation was lost lol.

Any idea what kinda heat? My utilization will no be high, single person accessing dat for a few hours ever day, if even that much. And mostly just plex streaming so no 100% drive utilization. I do plan to load the case up with fans, although I don't want them to be crazy loud...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yea I'm in a few, consolidation was lost lol.

Any idea what kinda heat? My utilization will no be high, single person accessing dat for a few hours ever day, if even that much. And mostly just plex streaming so no 100% drive utilization. I do plan to load the case up with fans, although I don't want them to be crazy loud...

I have my hard drive fans directly connected to power, no PWM or fancy fan control scripts which could be done and I swapped the fans that came with the case for Noctua fans that run at about 1200 RPM. The original fans ran about 3000 to 5000 RPM or some horrible jet speed range and were so loud I couldn't have it in my house. Anyhow, with these I get plenty of airflow to keep the drives between 29 and 35 Celsius and it is quiet enough that the only time I hear anything is when the CPU fan speeds up if it is doing some transcoding for the Plex. I am using the Intel stock coolers and I need to swap them out for the better coolers I bought and have not installed because I have to take the system board out to mount the back plate. Time is all it takes. Lessons learned.

LIGISTX

Guru
Well, I purchased one of those prebuilt HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Intel i3-6100 dealios last night. Finally figured it was a good idea to jump in on this. Part of the reason was my buddy sold me his "gently used" 6700k build with LOTS of top line parts he paid 2100 bucks for not even a year ago, I got it all at a steal for 700 bucks............. So I am going to flip some of that, and use some of it for the freenas build.

I knew my plans where for more drives then the HPE can support, so I now have a corsair 750d and a RM650i PSU to house the system in.

I have some old seagate drives that are completely untrustworthy at this point, but I think I will throw some of the in with some non ECC RAM I have laying around just to see what performance looks like, and if I can get away with only 12 Gigs of RAM for a 8x4TB setup, I will buy the an 8 gig stick of ECC to go with the 4 GB stick that comes with the ProLiant server. I doubt it would be enough, but I can play around with the system and just see how it does. I plan to pick up some harddrives on black friday/cyber monday.

LIGISTX

Guru
It has showed up! Now I just need to figure out RAM, and wait till Black Friday for possible harddrive sales! I will be loading windows 7/10 tomorrow just to run the cpu through aida64, make sure nothing goes wonky.

LIGISTX

Guru
They sure used enough silica!
00e13f2b232541e37007c7b4d3f55bd0.jpg

LIGISTX

Guru
Anyone have advice on where/what I should get for ram? I am thinking 8GB + the 4GB it came with with the option to upgrade to 20GB via another stick if need.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Anyone have advice on where/what I should get for ram? I am thinking 8GB + the 4GB it came with with the option to upgrade to 20GB via another stick if need.
There is another forum post about the same kind of computer asking the same question recently. You probably should do a quick search on the forum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
There is another forum post about the same kind of computer asking the same question recently. You probably should do a quick search on the forum

I looked a little harder and found this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...urce=cj&utm_content=8192570&utm_term=12637418

It looks like its on sale, any reason to just jump in with 20 GB from the start? Or should 12 GB suffice? It will be accessed at most by 1 user at a time, maybe 2, and I plan on 8 or 9 4 TB drives in RAID Z2. So I know RAM is mucho importante for ZFS, but I only need to saturate gigabit. Anyone think 12 GB would not suffice? I also don't plan on using a large amount of jails or are we using docker now? Clearly I am a noob, but beyond Plex, backblaze backup and possible a few other simple things, I am not looking for a crazy OP machine.

Any advice?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
12GB might be enough but more is better, if you can afford to. ZFS will basically use all but about 1GB for the ARC to try and enhance performance.

LIGISTX

Guru
12GB might be enough but more is better, if you can afford to. ZFS will basically use all but about 1GB for the ARC to try and enhance performance.

Done.

Once the RAM is in I will start running some stress testing stuff within windows. AIDA 64 will load up everything and we will see what happens! I even have some old (totally going to die and possibly drop out of the array) 3 TB drives just to test with until I get the real drives. Just something to play around with, the data that will be on it will be copies from my current nas solution so *When* one of the drives takes a dump, its nbd since it will just be to play around with.

LIGISTX

Guru
Any advice on a 4 port SATA card? I plan to put 2 drives from my pool on it, as well as my boot SSD. Cheap is the name of the game, but still trustworthy.

This should work well enough, right?

IO Crest SI-PEX40062

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.