New FreeNAS build! Will this work and if not, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar014

Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions for my soon to be Freenas build.
I am allready reading into some stuff quite some time now, but i have to admit i'm pretty much a rookie with this.

I am considering the following hardware options:
CPU: Intel XEON E3-1220V5
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SAE-M OR Gigabyte X150m-pro-ECC
Memory: 2x 8GB from Crucial or Kingston (ECC offcourse)
Case: Fractal design define mini
PSU: Be Quiet pure power 9 - 500W
Drives: Start with 2x 3/4TB WD Red and expand it each time with 2 drives (mirror)

About the hardware i have a few questions:

1)
Everyone is talking fancy about supermicro motherboards, but why are they (so much) better?
I am allready busting my budget (€900-1000) and the Gigabyte option would save me about €130.....(i know the supermicro is a different chipset, but besides that)

2)
what is better to go with for the memory: crucial or kingston?

For about my setup:
I am thinking about splitting the Xeon to use i for 2 purposes at the same time.
On one side it is for Freenas, which i want to use for storage and a small plex server
And on the other side i want i to use it for a different OS (probably windows) for things like a TS3 server and some light games server (i.e minecraft).
I know that running Freenas in a virtual machine is not advised, but i have a few questions regarding the follow article.

http://www.FreeNAS.org/blog/yes-you-can-virtualize-FreeNAS/

In this article, Is he talking about an Type 1 (native) or an type 2 (hosted) configuration?
I can understand his story about that the ZFS need its harddrives as close as possible.
And that this is not the case in a type 2 setup.

But running Freenas in an ESXi setup, would this also be a problem? Or is it then possible to configure the harddrives directly to Freenas (without using an HBA!)

About my Harddrive configuration:
Freenas is offcourse booted from an USB stick.
I want to use a small SSD for VMware ESXi
2x 3/4TB WD red drives for storage (only used by freenas, so no virtual drives installed on them)
and 1 or 2 500gb drives (mirror if 2) for the other OS (probably windows)

In the future i want to expand this system with some (2 or 3) IP camera's and it want to save those images on Freenas with separate harddrives.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
But i would like to ask not the throw with to many (new) terms or abbreviations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.