New FreeNAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppie

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm taking the plunge and moving from a non-ECC box to an ECC-box. Main purpose is storage and plex. I'm repurposing my current box to become an ESXi host should I need it. I'm thinking I want Plex on the freeNAS box to avoid spinning up a VM on ESXi every time I want to watch a movie or a show. The box should be able to transcode at least two 1080p streams at the same time.

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F-O (not purchased)
RAM: ??
CPU: ?? (should start of with 16 and then upgrade as funds allow)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 (already purchased)
Hard drive: 8x Western Digital Reds 3 TB (already purchased) Raidz2.
SSDs: 1 Samsung EVO 750 250GB, Corsair 60GB, OCZ 120GB (bought forever ago)
PSU: Corsair RM750x (already purchased)

My main questions concern motherboard, cpu and ram. I've semi-decided on a Supermicro x11SSH-LN4F-O, unless something better/smarter gets suggested. It's tricky getting your hands on second hand computer stuff here in Sweden so either eBay that ships internationally or if someone knows of an EU distributor. Money isn't really an issue but I prefer not needing to build another computer in a year. I'd rather spend that money on new hard drives so I can increase my storage capability.

The motherboard says I could use an i3 (which as I understand it would be fine for my needs), but can I use ECC with an i3 or do I need a Xeon?

Any suggestions is gladly appreciated. If I've forgotten to mention anything that I should have, please let me know.

Thanks!

Edit: Added a question.

melloa

Wizard
What are you upgrading from?

I want Plex on the freeNAS box to avoid spinning up a VM on ESXi every time I want to watch a movie or a show.

If that box will be up I don't see why would be a problem:

Streaming two movies at 20MBPS 1080p on my VM is using:

upload_2017-2-10_13-7-38.png

Note that 26.92% of 4 CPUs assigned to the VM, so would run perfect with 2 CPUs in my case.

muppie

Dabbler
I'm upgrading from an i7-6790k, 24GB non-ecc ram and some msi motherboard.

Can I use an i3-6320 with ecc ram? According to Intel's site it supports ECC. That would mean that as long as I find ram that's compatible with the motherboard, I should be fine?

melloa

Wizard

muppie

Dabbler
Do you know how picky that motherboard is with ram? "Any" ecc or only from the tested list?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

melloa

Wizard
Do you know how picky that motherboard is with ram? "Any" ecc or only from the tested list?

I only go with tested, unless someone else here has been using something else and provide opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.