Upgrading The Vault

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppie

Dabbler
Hi!

I'm thinking of upgrading my freenas box and I think I need some help.

The Vault:

Fractal Design Node 804 (will change soon)
Corsair RM750x
SuperMicro X11-LN4F-O
Intel i3-6320
16GB KVR21E15D8/16 (Kingston ValueRAM)
8x3TB WD Reds in a raidz2.

Backup TBD, most likely a HP Microserver I have laying around.

I'm currently running two computers at the moment, one running plex on an esxi box and then my freenas box for mostly media storage. My objective is to make the freenas box my only box and run plex from that. I have a i3-6320 and 16gb of ram. I have no more than four streams at once so an e3 that could handle that would be perfect. Any suggestions?

Might as well upgrade the ram too, right? Thinking two 16 GB sticks, total of 32GB.

Any recommendations on the cpu or is any info you might need missing?

Thanks!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
My objective is to make the freenas box my only box and run plex from that. I have a i3-6320 and 16gb of ram. I have no more than four streams at once so an e3 that could handle that would be perfect. Any suggestions?
The power needed to process four streams at once would be dependent on if the streams would need to be transcoded or not. The i3-6320 would not have the ability to transcode 4 simultaneous streams, you will need a quad core Xeon CPU for that much work. In regards to the amount of RAM, if the files to be transcoded were 4K in MKV format, then I would recommend bumping up to 32GB minimum.

muppie

Dabbler
Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been clear on the transcoding part. Most, if not all, of my streams will be transcoded. Would an e3-1240v6 be enough? I've read that plex needs about 2000 passmark score per stream, but I don't know how to convert the passmark score if I take freenas into account as well. the 1240e6 is 10869 passmark score.

Not 4k, just 1080p for now. I'm guessing that by the time I'm at 4K, I'm 3-4 computers down the line :)

//muppie

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.