New FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE install, Plex plugin (0.9.12.1.1079) won't start without tweaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkbait

Cadet
Just built and installed FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355 on new Xeon 1231v3 hardware, 16GB ECC RAM. I have 3 plugins installed and started: Sickbeard, Transmission and Couchpotato. However, when I install the Plexmediaserver plugin (0.9.12.1.1079), it refuses to start in the FreeNAS GUI on the Plugins tab. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin serveral times. I noticed in console I have a couple errors when the plugin is installed:

May 23 12:51:30 freenas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair1b
May 23 12:51:30 freenas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair1b
May 23 12:51:46 freenas notifier: WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/openssl/openssl.cnf

and

May 23 12:51:49 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.1.201/plugins/plexmediaserver/5/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded.

I can't start it if I go into the plex Jail console and run

service plexmediaserver start

I can start it using

service plexmediaserver onestart

but then when I reboot the FreeNAS server, the plugin is stopped again.
So I tried this:

sysrc 'plexmediaserver_enable=YES'
service plexmediaserver start

and now the plugin starts on a server reboot. The FreeNAS GUI shows Plex started on the Plugins tab but it can't be stopped now. Also There's nothing on the left side of the GUI listed for Plexmediaserver, is there supposed to be? It seems I can access it through the Plex web interface so I'm assuming all is well now. Is this normal behavior for this plugin?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
this is a bug that was introduced into several plugins because of python 2.7.9's strict security checking.
i fixed this and reuploaded all affected plugins to the freenas repo but they won't be available till tomorrow.

so if you can wait to reinstall plex tomorrow it should work as expected. or you can access freenas with http which is a workaround.

Sharkbait

Cadet
Yep, reinstalled the plugin and it works!

I found the bug report and noticed this bug ties into OpenSSL. I still have this error:

WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/openssl/openssl.cnf

I checked in FreeNAS shell, I see a sample file, but no actual config file for OpenSSL.

[root@nas1 /usr/local/openssl]# ll
total 21
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel uarch 4 May 19 01:00 ./
drwxr-xr-x 12 root 1002 uarch 13 May 19 01:01 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel uarch 9 May 19 01:00 misc/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel uarch 10835 May 19 01:00 openssl.cnf.sample

I don't think this is causing any problems, I've already made my certificates and I'm using HTTPS but I thought I should bring it to your attention.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
glad you got it working.
the warning you see is unrelated to the plugin system and isn't a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.