New FreeNAS 8 Installation - raid setup help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johwes

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have some questions after proper raid setup and how it works with a pool.

The system I will run on a SuperMicro sink with 16 hotswap disks and 3x internal.

The use will be to keep the virtual machines via NFS, and some data.

my setup:

dual xeon cpu
24GB RAM
8x1TB Seagate SAS - (later + 8x1tb) total 16tb
2x20G SSD ZIL
1x 120G SSD Cache

My question is how to set up the raid.
My problem is that I can just remove the eight disks for migration before I can release the other eight disks.

How do I set up the raid for those first eight disks and then to add the Additional 8 drives to and penetrate the data that is on them first 8 disks for all 16 to get a more balanced load and better performance.

Is this possible and what zraid level should I choose?

8xraidz2 without hotspare and then later when I have figjort the other eight disks to add the other in the pool? and will the data be disseminated automatically melancholy them two raidz2? or is there a command you can run?

Tips and thoughts please.

/ John

b1ghen

Contributor
Creating a zpool with 1 vdev of 8 drives in RAIDZ2 and then adding another vdev of 8 drives in RAIDZ2 sounds like a good option to me. Unless you need even more performance then using mirror vdevs is probably better but hopefully your ssd's will make raidz2 fast enough.
Am I right in asuming the 20GB SSD for ZIL is the Intel 311 SLC drives? I am really interested in how they would work as ZIL but never had the opportunity to try them out.

Sounds like a fun build! Please keep us updated with any results.

Status
Not open for further replies.