New Forum-Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

Hey guise,

I'm attempting to revive the forums to a state being that will reward the top contributing members for their efforts. At this moment in time the default style "Class" is simply a base for us to build upon. When we're finished the forum should really match the style of the website. We're currently working on some new icons for each forum/sub-forum. The style is responsive in nature and *should* collapse into 1 column when the browser width is too small. I will disable the forum styler as it appears to be a huge problem. I'm doing the best I can. Please be gentle. If you need to contact someone about anything website/forum related send an email to webmaster@freenas.org (which will ping me, and several others.)

At this moment I am installing http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tac-tenants-anti-spam-collection-anti-spam-free-version.1474/ in an attempt to fight the 6+ spams we get each day.

I apologize for the weekend update. I didn't think anyone would notice (just kidding). I always appreciate having the weekend for Quality Control and did receive some feedback from dlavigne that was helpful. I really need to post a semi-formal annoucement outlining the forums current features and benefits. We now offer Gravatar support: http://en.gravatar.com/support/what-is-gravatar/

For those of you still here...

Please post a reply if you're interested in one of the following roles:
1) Moderator
2) Forum Technician
3) Quality Control

Thanks for the help and honesty; without it I would be lost.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Hi Cyberjock,

I can assure you there aren't any hidden agendas. We only want the best for the FreeNAS Project, forums, and our users. I will take responsibility for the forum 'upgrade'.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our long standing contributors and would like to make it up to you in any way that I can.

While it's a bit painful for veterans like yourself, rest assured we are working on it. Our goal is to have a healthy forum community and we feel Xenforo will play a major role, we just have to get it dialed in.

James and I working to fix the many issues issues as we speak. Hopefully you will stick around as we'd hate to lose you and the many other contributors that has made this place what it is thus far.

Jeremy
FreeNAS Marketing Team

Caesar

Contributor
Ok I am with you guys now... This sucks! it just took me like 10 try to find a way to post a reply bc I included a link in my reply... Bullshit!

J

James

Ok I am with you guys now... This sucks! it just took me like 10 try to find a way to post a reply bc I included a link in my reply... Bullshit!

Hey caesar, we're all testing this out right now. Currently, I am trying to finish the setup for our anti-spam mods.

Thanks for the feedback

Caesar

Contributor
well that's good to know. bc I like most of the features of the new site so far the link issue is the only thing that I dont like.

J

James

well that's good to know. bc I like most of the features of the new site so far the link issue is the only thing that I dont like.

ok, i turned that feature off. let me know if you still have link troubles.

paleoN

Wizard
NO.

I was not a moderator. I am not a moderator. I will not be assigned as a moderator. Fix it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
NO.

I was not a moderator. I am not a moderator. I will not be assigned as a moderator. Fix it.

I do not think there was any malice intended, probably quite the opposite in fact. It seems an obvious thing to display some trust in your longtime users. However, it also carries with it some other baggage, in my case, I've worn enough "titles of/implying authority" over the years, and I'd prefer to not feel any sort of responsibility for what transpires here. James addressed my similar issue very quickly, with good humor.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Top bar, "Watched Forums". Select. Brings up a page that says "Watched Forums/You can manage watching option for all forums below" and at bottom a drop-down box that says "With selected/some-action". If you haven't manually gone into each forum and selected "Watch this forum", no checkbox exists for the forum, so it seems pointless to have a watch forums management widget that won't let you actually turn on forum watching.

J

James

Yah, that is a little useless. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I will check to see if there's any parameters or mods we can apply to make this more useful.

paleoN

Wizard
I do not think there was any malice intended, probably quite the opposite in fact. It seems an obvious thing to display some trust in your longtime users. However, it also carries with it some other baggage, in my case, I've worn enough "titles of/implying authority" over the years, and I'd prefer to not feel any sort of responsibility for what transpires here. James addressed my similar issue very quickly, with good humor.
I agree there was no malice. Being a moderator is hardly a reward and carries with it certain expectations & responsibilities I'm not willing to take. If people were looking to see me decline more politely then they should have fscking asked first.

paleoN

Wizard
To be clear, the color scheme is a step in the right direction (if still too much white for me). The icons, text size, font, stickies and forum grouping I didn't like. That and the fact Class style is unfinished, e.g. hypertext links. Also dislike the new style smilies more than the old ones.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Posting here because I'm not sure where to post this.

When i go to forums.freenas.org I am greeted with a color scheme that is blue and orange. But after I log in it immediately changes to the same layout and color scheme we had last Friday when the forums were first updated. Any ideas on what is wrong or is there a setting somewhere that I can fix this? The new"er" color scheme has http links in light blue with black text versus the current(dark grey links with black text).

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
2 Cyberjock: It is in your preferences. I already fixed that for you ^^

BTW: I am working on some kind of "todo/suggestion" list. Once it will be reviewed by James, i am sure he will share it with the community :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just made a post and I went from the "old" format to the "new" format. So I came here and sure enough, you had fixed it. Thanks. New color scheme is far more functional. I know its preschool-ish(not a complement or complaint), but its not aesthetically displeasing for me and far more functional than the format of last weekend.

Edit: I can edit my own posts now.. and I did find the preferences section. I was expecting the little tab thing on the left side but it has disappeared for some reason.

tingo

Contributor
The new "user info box" to the left of each posting makes information density lower for posts with only a few lines of text (less than about 20, it seems). I don't know if it is possible to fix it, but fixing it would be a good thing, IMHO.

J

James

We can add a style that trims it down for members concerned with vertical real-esate. This would take a bit of work but is definitely possible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.