Not open for further replies.

PrincePaul

Patron
Hey Guy´s

I don´t know what you think about the new forum design
but I LIKE it ;)

It looks clean and it´s much easier to use
and the best thing it have archivements

The only disadvantage is that you can´t upload your pictures, so you must insert a link to an image hoster and you must edit all your posts with pictures and replace the old ones with a link too.

Tell me what do you think about the new design.

Soo have a nice weekend....
PrincePaul

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not a fan.. but I'm thinking it might grow onto me. I'm very lost and can't figure out how to do simple things like send a new PM. I have to give it a week and see what happens. I know James is still loading stuff because the "Member Since" and "Message Count" didn't exist when I first saw the changes.

For me, the biggest drawback is that the post date/time is at the bottom of the post and its much easier for me when its at the top.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have also figured out(the hard way) that there is no "edit" for a post, so now I get to post twice in less than 2 minutes.

I also can't figure out how to edit my signature, and the previous "thread" and "color" tags are broken. Eek!

PrincePaul

Patron
you can edit the post!
the button is under your post in the same line with your name, the time you post it and the report and delete button

To edit your signature click on your name (right top of the page) and in the drop down menu on signatur.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uh. I'm not seeing what you are describing. At the bottom of my post I see:

Cyberjock, 39 minutes ago________________________________________________#4 (REPLY).

No edit, delete, or anything else like that. Perhaps because I'm a "Super Moderator" my permissions are messed up? I know I don't have the permissions like I used to right now.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, I don't have signature from my drop down menu either.

(And another post is made...)

PrincePaul

Patron
LOL, under my post:

PrincePaul, 10 minutes ago Edit Delete Report

Signature:

Signature.jpg
Signature1.jpg

jgreco

Resident Grinch
For me, the biggest drawback is that the post date/time is at the bottom of the post and its much easier for me when its at the top.

I guess I now have to watch threads to keep track of the ones where I've posted a response..

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Just for the record guys ... i am out (edit: out of managing this forum /edit). I don't have much experience with XenForo engine and also i did not received any info about this migration. Communication with James is ... well ... there was not much of it since i did not received any response to several of my PMs. So good luck to whoever will be managing this forum. I just hope that this is not over (like few years ago when BB was migrated to vB) and responsible person will fix all of the actual issues and make this forum as a good place for community.

XenForo is project with good potential, main authors/devs are former vB developers. They ran away from vB in time of big (and painful) changes in Internet Brands (owner of vBulletin). There were some law suits between vB and XF, that XF devs using vB knowledge ... blablabla ... usual anti-concurrency style in these days ... but nothing was justified as far i know...

Holy

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Just for the record guys ... i am out. I don't have much experience with XenForo engine and also i did not received any info about this migration. Communication with James is ... well ... there was not much of it since i did not received any response to several of my PMs. So good luck to whoever will be managing this forum.

And you deserve a thank you for the improvements that you had made to the old setup, you substantially improved usability.

gpsguy

Does anyone know where the color (styler) settings are saved?

I wasn't keen on the colors, so last night I discovered the styler feature. I cycled through the presets a couple of times (I didn't like any of them) and wanted to go back to black. I clicked on Reset and it appears styler broke. I'm stuck with the ocean theme and selecting "choose a preset" or anything else, no longer works.

I restarted my pc, deleted all the FreeNAS cookies, all to no avail. I'm running Firefox 17.0.6 ESR. I even tried disabling all of it's plugins and extensions, but still can't change anything.

slyler.gif

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's mine...(and I have no clue how you pasted a picture in the forum. I had to use my Dropbox and a web link)

Menu.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Holykiller-

Thanks for the help you provided in the forum. We've talked a little in PMs and I can understand your decision. I agree that there is a major disconnect between the people with the power/control and "the rest of us". Even as a forum moderator I've had PMs ignored by people with no response when I asked questions. From what I've heard from people that have been in this forum longer than I have the same complaints keep coming back. Communication was terrible and nothing was ever really being accomplished. Just lots of promises that would later be left unfulfilled.

While this new forum software has potential, I think that the old software had potential that was never implemented(for reasons mentioned above). So is there really going to be any improvement? I'll give it a week or two. Beyond that, if its the same-ol same-ol, I'll probably be posting my "I'm out of here" message too. I have enjoyed working in the forums, and trying to add code (adding support for Highpoint 3560 and Areca SMART support come to mind) but there is the saying "beatings will continue until morale improves". I'm not sure morale is going to improve and I'm getting a little tired of the beatings. :p

With this new forum change, you leaving, ProtoSD leaving, etc. I'm not sure how much longer I want to stick around. At some point you get tired of the lack of communication, empty promises, etc. With you leaving HolyKiller, that's the 3rd or 4th person I've heard from that is leaving that has had a sizable investment in the forums and/or FreeNAS project in the last 2-3 weeks. It seems like a mass exodus is in progress. With the recent bugs I've found in FreeNAS regarding encryption and the difficulty I'm having explaining myself I'm a little frustrated. The implementation of the encryption seems to be somewhat erratic for me and I'm not sure if my expectations are off-base or if FreeNAS just has some bugs to work out. In recent days I've really been questioning where this project is going and what things are going on internally and "if" things really are getting better. I have no prior experience with geli so it could be that geli just sucks. When I started using FreeNAS with 8.0.4 things seemed to be very stable. Now we have what seems like 1/2 baked encryption(geli sucks?) and its fairly easy to end up with data loss. How many people have we had that have lost their zpool because of an alleged single power outage, 3-5 in the last 3 months? Is ZFS really that fragile or are people doing dumb things like sync=disabled or is FreeNAS unreliable? I don't know. I would hate to be the next person that reboots and has an unmountable zpool.

With the way the forums were (mis)treated I'm a little nervous to think about the future. Generally the leadership dictates where the project is going, and its rare for one facet of the project to fail while the rest of the project succeeds. I hope that the lack of forum love isn't a sign that the project isn't being managed well. If it is, I'm a little scared to see where 9.1 takes us. I'm very worried that 9.1 is going to be fraught with major upgrade pains. We seem to have some damn smart developers that really care(dwhite and william come to mind even if we've bumped heads in the past). I think that the problem is somewhere else, but where I don't know.

Just lots of soul searching regarding FreeNAS and with the new and (at least for me) very broken forum settings, I'm not sure how much more I can take before giving up too.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Speaking at this from the other end of the spectrum - an engineering, system admin, and FreeBSD developer point of view - FreeNAS gets treated here as a management layer. There is nothing substantial in FreeNAS that FreeBSD cannot be made to do, it is simply packaged up nicely and conveniently. We mostly set up FreeBSD VM's these days to handle workloads, but the particular case of storage is kind of a strange fit, and setting up a good fileserver is kind of a complicated thing. It is nice to have a tool where someone else has worked out the details. It is somewhat less nice that it doesn't integrate entirely cleanly in our environment, but that's a typical failing of any appliance-type device.

The good news is that basically there's nothing too magic about FreeNAS; it can be going nowhere and if that happens to be the case, it is just FreeBSD with a management layer, and can be managed directly if needed. (That's good news for *me* though, not necessarily random users who rely on the GUI.)

As far as geli? I suspect that relying on things like encryption would be a bad idea. New feature, potential for bugs, not-well-tested, not well-understood, with that sort of thing, you have to do what those of us who do this professionally do: let other people run into the problems first. It is kind of unfair to expect a new feature like encryption to work without issues when it is brand new, if not unfair, then at least unwise.

gpsguy

While doing a reply, I select "More options" (like the old "advanced") and then "upload a file".

Here's mine...(and I have no clue how you pasted a picture in the forum

I looked all through the preferences. The only thing I can find is "style chooser" (also available in the bottom left corner of the forum page) and select either "class" or "default style". The latter is almost as bad, ie. soft pastel colors.

Milhouse

Guru
I just spent 10 minutes trying to send a new PM, but gave up - I'm guessing it's not enabled yet? I was able to reply to an old PM (conversation started before the forum upgrade) but how to start a new conversation? I don't have a clue.

I'm also meant to be a Super Moderator but I'm guessing that's now in name only as I have no ability to moderate anything.

Some prior notice of the forum upgrade to moderators would have been nice too.

I guess we should give it a few more days as the upgrade could still be ongoing, and while the "Class" theme is a bit too fancy and pretty for my liking (way over-designed) I prefer the more functional aesthete of the old forum which in some ways can be reproduced with the "Default Style" theme (click on "Class" at the bottom left of each page to access the style chooser) but the colours are still a bit too bright... I guess we'll all get used to it eventually.

Milhouse

Guru
The "Upload a File" button (which appears in between "Post Reply" and "More Options...") is an Adobe Flash-based button, so if you've got some sort of Flash-blocker enabled that could explain why you're not seeing it...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. I don't use Flash. Too many security issues.

This "new forum" thing is getting uglier and uglier.

tingo

Contributor
It seems there are only two styles ("skins" or whatever you call them): "Class" and "Default". "Class" is fixed-width and therefore of no use, "Default" is sensible (it scales to the width of the browser I'm using), but has wrong (and in my view, ugly) colors. Can we have a skin like default, but with colors more like the old forum? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.