SOLVED New feature flags are available for volume ZFS_VOL-I

Status
Not open for further replies.

devnullius

Patron
Code:
  • WARNING: Jan. 25, 2018, 9:10 p.m. - New feature flags are available for volume ZFS_VOL-I. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.

Anyone an idea what that could be? I got the warning twice, but not afterwards.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.
The User Guide is your friend... don't be afraid to use it!

devnullius

Patron
2.5.1. Caveats
Be aware of these caveats before attempting an upgrade to 11.1:

• Warning: upgrading the ZFS pool can make it impossible to go back to a previous version. For this reason, the update process does not automatically upgrade the ZFS pool, though the Alert system shows when newer feature flags are available for a pool. Unless a new feature flag is needed, it is safe to leave the pool at the current version and uncheck the alert. If the pool is upgraded, it will not be possible to boot into a previous version that does not support the newer feature flags.

devnullius

Patron
2.5.2. Initial Preparation
Before upgrading the operating system, perform the following steps:

1. Back up the FreeNAS® configuration in System → General → Save Config.
  2. If any volumes are encrypted, make sure that you have set the passphrase and have a copy of the encryption key and the latest recovery key. After the upgrade is complete, use the instructions in Importing an Encrypted Pool to import the encrypted volume.
  3. Warn users that the FreeNAS® shares will be unavailable during the upgrade; you should schedule the upgrade for a time that will least impact users.
  4. Stop all services in Services → Control Services.
2.5.6. Upgrading a ZFS Pool
In FreeNAS®, ZFS pools can be upgraded from the graphical administrative interface.

Before upgrading an existing ZFS pool, be aware of these caveats first:

• the pool upgrade is a one-way street, meaning that if you change your mind you cannot go back to an earlier ZFS version or downgrade to an earlier version of the software that does not support those feature flags.
  • before performing any operation that may affect the data on a storage disk, always back up all data first and verify the integrity of the backup. While it is unlikely that the pool upgrade will affect the data, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
  • upgrading a ZFS pool is optional. Do not upgrade the pool if the the possibility of reverting to an earlier version of FreeNAS® or repurposing the disks in another operating system that supports ZFS is desired. It is not necessary to upgrade the pool unless newer ZFS feature flags are required. If a pool is upgraded to the latest feature flags, it will not be possible to import that pool into another operating system that does not yet support those feature flags.
To perform the ZFS pool upgrade, go to Storage → Volumes → View Volumes and highlight the volume (ZFS pool) to upgrade. Click the Upgrade button

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Why are you are posting these excerpts? Post the links if you feel they are necessary for others. Or at least add your commentary.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We don't need you to post the manual that most of us have already read and is available freely online for anyone to read. If you have a question, ask it. If you found your answer in the manual then you're done. No need to post anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

devnullius

Patron
Please read; link is given. It's not rocket science ;p

devnullius

Patron
We don't need you to post the manual that most of us have already read and is available freely online for anyone to read. If you have a question, ask it. If you found your answer in the manual then you're done. No need to post any more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It's GREAT that YOU understand EVERYTHING.

It MIGHT surprise you but NOT everybody is a BSD guru. SOME use Google (wow) or Forum Search to get answers on obvious questions. Your manuals are a jungle. Finding relevant info is HARD. This is my way of giving back to OTHERS that don't understand this.

So please STOP all that BSD nagging that seems to be a community gene. Not everything in the world can be controlled. You NEED people like me. But you'll probably never ever understand that. Sigh. Sad.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It MIGHT surprise you but NOT everybody is a BSD guru. SOME use Google (wow) or Forum Search to get answers on obvious questions. Your manuals are a jungle. Finding relevant info is HARD. This is my way of giving back to OTHERS that don't understand this.
The question has been asked and answered several times already in the forum which is why you were directed to the manual to begin with. If you had looked a little harder, you would have found the answer without asking. If you think that the answer you are posting on the forum is new and unique or special in any way, you are silly.

devnullius

Patron
If you think bashing and hating on people helps the forum, you are absurd ;p

devnullius

Patron
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. Princess Diana
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/princess_diana_154326?src=t_random

THAT is random. So yeah... This forum is not for your personal amusement. It is not your personal diary. It's a PUBLIC forum. If my replies are of no interest of you, STOP reading. If you think you can attribute, ATTRIBUTE. Bashing just because your autistic viewpoints get a little upset is offending for all good willing people like myself. I'm sure EVERYTHING is posted SOMEWHERE on the internet. Better shut this forum down ASAP. Just a waste of bits. Yeay! Sigh.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
An even-more-random quote, but at least that one was attributed--I guess it's a wash. But is that what you think you were doing?

You started a thread asking a question that's been asked several times before (see, e.g., here, here, and here, all found with a search on the exact error message you posted), on this very forum. You posted a question that contained its own answer--the message you posted tells you exactly where the answer is. And then, in a separate post, you post a couple of quotes out of the manual--one of them, coincidentally enough, being exactly the section that the warning message told you to read. And that's a random act of kindness? Because some future user wouldn't be able to find any of the other threads (or read the manual), but would find yours?

If my replies are of no interest of you, STOP reading.
The Ignore feature here works very well. Unfortunately, my morbid curiosity often undermines it.

devnullius

Patron
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.